Reeves Drive Seems to be Slipping

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
The variable speed (Reeves drive) on my lathe seems to be slipping. I can grab a small bowl spinning at 800 RPM and stop it by hand. No squealing, but a slipping belt is what I suspect. Any of you have any experience with similar issues? Would a squirt of belt dressing help or hurt?

TIA -

Vaughn,

I had a Jet 1442 that had a problem like that. In my case it was the sheaves hanging on the shaft. I cleaned and lubed the shaft so the sheaves were freed up and everything worked fine after that, until they need cleaning again. I think what happens is that the belt wears and sheds rubber that adheres to the shaft. Over time the movement of the sheaves will "grind in" the rubber to the shaft which then starts to "gum" up the works. Try some carb. cleaner on the shaft, then you might think about some graphite to lube it since that shouldn't attract anything to the shaft.

My Grizzly G1067Z has the dreaded Reeves drive. Usually works fine. But belts do fail. The first time I opened the case to replace a belt I was amazed at how little of the belt actually remained, it was a mere shred of it's former self. The rest was laying around in the form of dust and mess. I wouldn't go squirting anything on it. A friend who was in the business of industrial air compressors for air conditioners told me the belts that went in those units are the strongest, toughest available. One day I'll search out and get some, but for now, I replace with standard issue. On the upside, Grizzly guranantees for one year. If I don't lose my receipt, all I have to do is call and they send me a free replacement.

time for a new belt vaughn......
I was inside the lathe head a month or two ago and replaced the drive belt. The Reeves belt looks almost brand new...no fraying or shiny spots on the edges, no cracks, and still flexible.

Cecil, I'm ignorant enough about machinery that I'm not certain what a sheave is. Is that the split pully wheel? I'll dig around and try to find a schematic for my lathe, and I'll probably open it up tonight and see if I can find anything obviously wrong/tight/loose. I may have not tightened something as much as I should have when I had it open to replace the drive belt.

Could be your belt is just not tight enough. My old J-Line uses a two wide belts and I have to tighten one of them or it will slip. Not familiar with yours though, so it may be different