Locust twig post, candle holder and bowl

Jeff Bower

I've found ton of locust recently and some of it has proven to have some nice grain to it. The twig pots are 5" tall and 4" at the base. The bowl is 10" at it's widest and 2.5" tall and the candle holder is 5" tall and 4" wide. Watco danish oil is the finish so far, but I think the twig post might get a coat of 2 of laquer as well. Critques encouraged please.

Attachments

• locust candle.jpg
    locust candle.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 46
  • bowl-candle.jpg
    bowl-candle.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 64
Jeff, I applaud you for developing your own style of woodturning. I can generally tell your pieces from the photos before I read the name. Not an easy thing to accomplish. If you are thinking a high gloss lacquer, I would definitely like to see how that works. To me, your pieces have a "primitive" look - meant in a positive fine art way. The contrast of a gloss finish on one of these pieces could be quite interesting, but it could also lend a plastic feel. If you don't like it you can always knock it down with some steel wool and keep a mat finish with lots of depth, which may add more to the finished piece in the long run. If it were me, I would have to try it to see which I liked better. Keep up the good work.

Jeff, I applaud you for developing your own style of woodturning. I can generally tell your pieces from the photos before I read the name. Not an easy thing to accomplish. If you are thinking a high gloss lacquer, I would definitely like to see how that works. To me, your pieces have a "primitive" look - meant in a positive fine art way. The contrast of a gloss finish on one of these pieces could be quite interesting, but it could also lend a plastic feel. If you don't like it you can always knock it down with some steel wool and keep a mat finish with lots of depth, which may add more to the finished piece in the long run. If it were me, I would have to try it to see which I liked better. Keep up the good work.

Ken thanks for the completment. I spend way to much time looking at woodturning websites for ideas...most of my turnings are my version of something done before...the "primitive look" has become one of my favorites so if you see this coming across, I guess I'm doing something right. :rolleyes: