Rockler or Woodcraft for pen kits?

Ned Bulken

OK Ladies and Gents...

I'm taking a little road trip out to western NY tomorrow and thought I'd visit Rockler and Woodcraft's Brick and Mortar stores on my way back home. While I know about the online sources being preferred. I'm 'ok' with buying a couple of basic kits to learn pen turning with. Either of the two have 'better' kits that you know of? TIA

Ned, I think both sell quality kits, buy a couple from both and let us know your findings!!!! Safe travels and don't forget Larry's example, stop by a couple family member's homes/shops/towns/hardware stores whatever.

It's my impression that both are re-sellers of the more common suppliers on line. I know my local Woodcraft has PSI, Berea and CSUSA kits.

I don't have a Rockler nearby... last time I was close to one of their B&M stores, I was in living in Houston.

I would stay away from their regular gold. The finish will wear off. The titanium-gold is better. I buy from Rockler a lot but usually stick with the chrome or black titanium. Both are resellers for the big name makers. Everyone seems to start with the slimline, but for close to the same money you can get the streamline. The patriot/polaris/atlas/carbara depending on where you buy it is also an easy one to start out on. Here is a streamline I modified.

Attachments

• 324055353 (Small).jpg
    324055353 (Small).jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 23
Although it's not Rockler or Woodcraft, I'm a loyal Wood Turners/Craft Supply buyer. I use gold, Nickel and Black Titanium kits and have no complaints what so ever. I'll try to post a few next week. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Jim,
Welcome to the forums, can't wait to see pics!

I wound up just visiting Woodcraft, and I'll likely try out the online sources later on. This was a shopping trip tacked onto another trip, so I just picked up a couple of items.