Wood Rack Prep for Lumber Run

glenn bradley

Trying to keep the woodworking posts flowing so, while not a construction worthy of a tutorial on double tenons or anything; come along whilst I re-org my lumber rack . . . .

The white metal rack parts come from Lowe's (or Lee Valley if you're up that-away) and had been up quite awhile. When I first put them up I failed to think 3-dimensionally :rolleyes:. That is they were level left to right and up and down with mother earth but I forgot how rippled framing and therefor drywall can be around here.

The arms would never line up along the length of a board due to "wall-waves" and I used to use shims to keep things reasonably level. As mentioned in another post I have a 'things that I just can't stand anymore' list and this was on it.

Time for a run to the lumber yard anyway so between fixing sprinkler valves that the yard-kid busted . .. .oh, sorry; wandering. I shimmed the shelf standards with pieces of ash tapered out of scrap. You can sort of see them on the left hand standards. The strip of PB was a guide I tacked up but since that wall is going to get a major rebuild "soon" I just left him up and crowded some misc clamp racks in there with the Vac tools.

re-leveled-woodrack.jpg

So now everything sits nice; mahogany on the bottom then maple and ash. third from the bottom is a lone piece of QSWO that will get company soon. The stuff on the top rack will have to go to make room as well.

So all the other stuff got moved over here:

re-leveled-woodrack-overflo.jpg

These plywood do-jobbers are quick to make and can hang from joists to hold stuff till you rotate your material into product. So I have some overflow of walnut, beech, BE maple, redwood, ash and cherry but Christmas is coming and that's a great time to burn up small stuff making gifts:thumb:.

Last edited:
youre shop is scary neat. I usually find something when I happen across it or trip over it.
(I was looking for a piece of chain recently, I stumbled across an entire pack of disposable foam brushes I had been looking for for 3 months)

Looks good Glenn. Spent the day tidying up myself. So how do you store cut-offs and small stock?

Well let's see . . . Large cutoffs and small panels go in this 2 x 3 x 4 ft slant-front bin. I've got about 16" of depth behind it where sheet goods live.

Cut-Off-Bin-1.jpg

Here's a better shot of just the bin.

Cut-Off-Bin-2.jpg

Cut offs that are 18" to 20" long and small enough go under the TS out feed table.

Outfeed-Scrap-Bin-2-1.jpg

I made a half dozen of these out of scrap to hold stuff too small for the cubbys.

Small-Bins-1.jpg

They stack and I try to keep like materials separated. This sometimes breaks down to 'hard wood', 'soft wood' and 'don't-know-why-I'm-keeping-this wood'

Small-Bins-2.jpg

And of course . . .

Junk-Bin-1.jpg

This guy fills up till he starts to spill over. Then I pick through and send burnables to Dad (wood burning stove) while the rest stay for awhile and get used or eventually go to the dumper. With any luck, during that life-cycle a piece or two of furniture appears ;-)

Last edited:
Ned,

Inside dimensions are about 19" x 11" x 6" deep. The size was partially determined by the amount of T-11 siding a neighbor gave me as scrap. Cleats on the bottom act as feet and also center them on each other when stacking.

I like those stackers as well, been using the rubbermaid tubs myself and have a cart for longer cut-offs. I like the idea of using the PVC pipe for dowels and skinny stock. Have most of mine just rubberbanded now.

Thanks Glenn!