Shopping for snake boots for Denise and I...

Marty Walsh

For those of you headed to IWF, here's yet another reason to come down and visit us! :rofl::rofl:

Our neighbor put a few .410 slugs into this beast Friday night as it was crossing the dirt trail into our house:

P1020282.jpg....P1020284.jpg

I cut the 13 rattle tail off it thinking I'd leave the rest to the buzzards:

P1020281.jpg

...but Denise wanted to skin and clean it. She's always wanted to try rattlesnake meat:

P1020289.jpg

It's in the freezer...now I need some good tequila so tod and I can dare eat some of it!

- Marty -

When I was in Oklahoma in '77 there was an old man that hobbled with a cane and a burlap bag over his shoulder. As we shod horses he would go in the haymows and other areas looking for 'rattlers. He would flip his cane over and pin their heads with the hook then put them in the bag alive and then sling that over his shoulder and let it rest on his back. Man I hated even holding the bag shut, couldn't put it on my back. Never heard of him getting bit through the bag.
Man that is a big one. Hard to keep dogs and cats with something like that lurking in the back yard I imagine.

Man, that sure is a big one!

We get them up in my area in Canada, hot and dry, so we get them snakes!

I've had the meat, tastes like quail to me :D

Two ways I like it, in bite sized bits on a stick, then grilled over some hot coals, you got to keep turning it to make sure it don't burn, straight up like that, with a little lemon juice is good.
The second way, is almost better, but takes a bit more work. I take about 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, a little bit of honey, like one teaspoon, then some white pepper, black pepper, celery salt, and maybe 1 tablespoon of white wine, mix this up, cut the snake into pieces about 6" long, and smother it with the mix, let it sit for about an hour, then stick it on skewers and again, roast it slowly over hot coals, turning it often and basting it with the leftover mix. I find the gamey taste of the snake and the mustard with just a hint of the sweetness from the honey to be really good. Goes well with a cold beer, or shots of Tequila :D :thumb:

Cheers!

you wont be seeun me

down there this time of year marty,, i dont do snakes well and that size i dont do ataullll!!!! i have had it to eat and its ok to eat but i anit goin huntin fer then..:thumb:

You guys need to move to the South. That ain't even a big one: seven footers weighing 25 pounds are not all that uncommon. I've had 'em that big in my garden when I lived in Alabama: but when they're coiled up and ready to strike they look like they're alot bigger than seven feet.

Never skinned one, though: their remains always got flung into the river. Kinda like throwing the opposing teams' home run balls back where they came from. ;)
As for eating them... well, never did that either. ;)

Before someone jumps on me for non-environmental attitudes, I'll point out that the biggest one I ever aided in shuffling off his mortal coil was himself coiled and ready to strike less than two feet from my one-year old son...

Thanks,

Bill

Well... I for one am always up to 'trying something new'. I've never eaten rattlesnake before but I do enjoy eating wild game. And... when would Marty and I have the opportunity to have this fresh of a rattler again? This is only the second rattler we've seen in 3 years... and I believe the first one we saw was either a pygmy rattler... or just a baby... :)

Truth be told it's very odd that this one was as close as it was. The vibration from the compressor in the shop keeps snakes away..:thumb:

Stu... your recipe sounds great however I think we're going to fry it along with the 15# flathead I caught on Saturday night... :)

P1020292.jpg

Thanks!!

~Denise~

Hard to keep dogs and cats with something like that lurking in the back yard I imagine.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I have the two working dogs out back. We don't have big rattlers here, just copperheads. Even so, I don't want any hanging out behind the house. Brisi's faster than any copperhead that ever lived, and while it's unlikely she'd kill one, she'd sure as heck harass it till it found a calmer place to live. ;)

Belle, on the other hand, would just hide under the porch... ;)

Thanks,

Bill