Blanket Chest

Cody Colston

I've made several of these and keep embellishing the design which is based on Norm's from the NYW. The latest embellishment was to use box joints on the coved bracket feet instead of splined miters. The box joints are super strong and I think look good, too. I also added some 1/8" Mesquite wear pads to the bottom of the feet since the Eastern Red Cedar is so soft.

Finish is two coat of BLO allowed to cure then two coats of Zinnser Seal Coat shellac followed by three coats of USL. I had some trouble with the USL "crackling" and I think it was because it was over a year old. So, I sanded it down and then applied two coats of satin Minwax Polycrylic.

That's a pretty eclectic finishing schedule but at least it turned out looking okay. This is a commissioned piece so I'll see what the customer thinks.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Chest 001.jpg
    Chest 001.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Chest 002.jpg
    Chest 002.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 77
Hi Cody :wave:,
Very nicely done. Flat panels with custom panel mold? What is the size of this? It has a good look!
Your fancy footwork:eek::rofl: adds a nice personal flair to the chest.
Thanks for the pictures.
Shaz :)

Thanks for all the kind comments, y'all.

Shaz, the chest is 42" wide x 18" deep x 22" tall. The panels are actually raised. The photo just makes them look different. I was using one of my wife's good king-size sheets for a back drop and was in a hurry to get it put back in the linen cabinet before she got home and caught me. :D

Thank you for the input Mr Slippery!:rofl::rofl:
It is beautiful!

She might never know:rolleyes:, unless.................But who would tell her you used her good sheets?:dunno::rolleyes: Send me the chest and my lips are sealed!!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Shaz:)

Cody - I think this is actually the first time I have been over to this forum... glad you let me know you had posted! Outstanding blanket chest! Love the rich color! Also like the way you constructed the feet - gives it a very original feel! Very nice work Cody - seriously!

I knew you were an accomplished turner - never realized your woodworking talents were so vast!

Thanks for the comments, Jason. That's special coming from someone as gifted as you.

Steve, accomplished turner, vast talents? I don't think so but thanks for saying it anyway. :)

Great job Cody!. I like the details on the feet also.

Please let us know what the customer says about it, if he doesn't like it, he doesn't deserve to be one of your customers!

I really like the chest, it is amazing, but I'm going to be the odd man out (like THAT has never happened :rolleyes: ) and say I don't like the feet.

I know, personal opinion, but what I don't like about the box joint on the feet is that the feet are so nice and curvy, organic in feel, the just flow, but the box joint, for me, in there interrupts the flow. :dunno:

I'm sure your customer will love it :thumb:

Stu