Bois d' Arc Bowl

Cody Colston

This is from that Bois d' Arc I scored Friday. It's 10" x 8 1/2" x 5 3/4" at the ends. Finish is Minwax Polycrylic. I already had it in the spray gun finishing a blanket chest so I shot it on the bowls, too.

I got the inside deeper than the outside so I included a Walnut foot. I told LOML that it wasn't a mistake, it was simply a design opportunity. ;)

Thanks for looking. Comments are encouraged and appreciated.

Attachments

• B 001.jpg
    B 001.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 43
  • B 002.jpg
    B 002.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 46
Sorry to see you funnelized it, but that looks like some real nice wood. I suspect we'll be seeing more yellow stuff coming from your lathe, huh?

Cody,
Sorry to hear you made a fancy funnel. It still looks nice though.

FYI-for other funnelized pieces you may want to align the grain of the funnel to the plug, otherwise bad things might happen...

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Dick - Yeah, I noticed after I glued it in that the grain in the foot was perpendicular to the bowl. I'll pay closer attention next time.

Shane - I love the way Bodark finishes. I turned a vase yesterday, sanded to 12000 MM and then Beall buffed. It's absolutely gorgeous and even LOML commented on the way the wood sparkled (chatoyance) when the light changed.

Barry - I always turn NE bowls to completion. Bodark is pretty stable but even if it warps, it will only accentuate the shape of the NE bowl. They look oval anyway just because the sides are usually lower than the ends.