folks are leavin`

Hi All,

Personally, I think the admins and mods here are agonizing way, way too much over every simple disagreement, potential controversy and member complaints for their own health and well-being. You guys are going to burn yourselves out and you shouldn't because this forum is off to a great start and by any measure is a great success.

I don't think that absence of conflict should be the objective of this, or any other forum; but, I do believe strongly that conflict should be dealt with fairly and objectively and you are doing that admirably.

It's simple Management 101! You do the best you can with what you have. What we have here are a few hundred great members and contributers to the forum. Don't get caught up in looking at the 10% 'tip of the iceberg' - look at the 90% 'base of the iceberg' that is the overwhelming majority.

I too am sad to see any members make the decision to leave; but, it is their choice - theirs alone! Individual members don't have an inherent right to control the opinions of others. There are far too many members here for everyone to agree on every topic and subject that comes up - that's why it's a 'discussion' forum isn't it? Perhaps, the members in question have simply made the right decison for Family Woodworking and themselves.

Trying to 'control' things by saying we can't mention this or can't mention that(i.e. SMC) is only going to further the problem in my opinion. What will happen is that members who haven't read the prohibition will mention the offending word and then will be unwittingly 'attacked' for breaking the rules. A dispute will then take place and sides will be formed - a self-induced recipe for disaster, and, completely unnecessary.

This forum was created for a reason - don't forget that, o.k. Just because another forum might not like what's said is no reason to stifle the opinions of our members. Criticisim and comment can be informative and at the same time respectful.

The first management question on any issue arising here should be 'what's in the best interests of our membership'? It should never be 'what will others think'?

In any event, it was the choice of the individual members to leave - I accept that and I think everyone else should too.

rick

rick, we are in no way trying to cater to anyone.....it is a shame that bill and glenn felt they had to leave....the free and open exchange or woodworking information is the premis that this forum is based on and that won`t change if i have anything to do with anything! i think that by having some moderation rules in place, and by posting the fact that some folks do take offence at certain subjects and choose to leave, each of us will give thought as to how we address issues or opinions concerning sawmill creek and in general express ourselves. if folks do go over the line....with moderation rules in place, they will know that at very least one person complained and three moderators agreed that their post exceeded the speed limit and they`ll have the chance to apply their own brakes instead of having the administration drop a log in the road...and everybody will be aware of what`s going on due to "placeholders" or moderation commentary....nothing should ever just dissappear......thanks for chippin` in your .02.......tod

Stu, I think that asking folks not to mention Saw Mill Creek is going to far.

It certainly going too far. I don't have a problem with FW being mentioned on SMC as long as it is not derogatory in nature.

Stu Ablett said:
"When if comes to SMC, if you don't have nothing nice to say, don't say nothing"
An excellent recommendation
I can guarantee you that posts of that nature about FW will be edited/deleted with the speed of flying bullet,

It certainly going too far. I don't have a problem with FW being mentioned on SMC as long as it is not derogatory in nature.

I can guarantee you that posts of that nature about FW will be edited/deleted with the speed of flying bullet,

Thanks Ken, your opinion is valued here.

Cheers!

Ken Salisbury;11657 [SIZE="3" said:
I can guarantee you that posts of that nature about FW will be edited/deleted with the speed of flying bullet,[/SIZE]

here it may take a little longer `cause we require agreement of at least 3 moderators to ammend a post......but rest assured if any post contains what at least 3 mods feel is inflamitory or in any way liable the original poster will be requested to edit their post, or have it edited for them..
really our intention here is to have the free and open exchange of information.
thanks for your opinion, tod

Certainly too bad, but

you never know how someone will react to a comment. Like the others, I hope that Glenn and Bill will give FW another try down the road.

I like this site and I also like SMC and Wood Central. These are the only 3 WW sites regularly visit. Each one has its own personality, and its avid supporters, and I like that.

I know I have strong opinions on may subjects, and sometimes go over board expressing them, but it certainly does not mean that I have any dislike of any member of this or the other forums. I try to keep my comments on the subject, not the person expressing the comment. If I don't succeed, I hope someone will send me a PM and tell me about it.

Vaughn, admins, and moderators have taken on a big job, and have accomplished a great deal in a short time. Congratulations to everyone of you.:thumb:

I, too, hope Glen and Bill stop by again. There is alway room for more than one site that has CLASS.

I expect to learn much here AND SMC. There are MANY WONDERFUL and HELPFUL folks both here AND there.

Let's get back to Woodworking!

Bruce

I agree with Rick, Bill, Jim, Sam or wowever that leaves should not be a loss. It must not have met with their likes or dislikes. Wish them well. Names should not be mentioned, just we lost a couple of members.
Just my opinion,
Chuck

Wow Stu, I can't believe that I read that. That seems to be awfully far removed from the democratic principles we've been talking about. If we have a rule to prevent bashing of other people and forums, let's try using that before anyone "goes Nazi".

What I wrote I wrote for a certain shock value, that is for sure, but, please read what I wrote, please do not read anything else into what I wrote.

Stu said:
I'm at the point of becoming a post Nazi on this subject, mention SMC, or "That other place" and I'm going to be real tempted to just edit you post and tell you why.

I'm not doing that, I have not said I will, I said I'm tempted to do so, besides, the system that we have set up here would not allow me to do so, even if I wanted to, which I do not.

I'll apologize for my outburst if it has upset anyone, but I'll temper that by saying that spending most of my time on this board dealing with this ONE subject is getting stale, to say the least, why not move on, why not just simply refrain from mentioning the subject completely?

If one cannot do that, at the very least, PLEASE only say something if you have something nice to say? Going on and on about how things were/are/might be handled at a different forum is........... silly? a waste of time? poor form...? :rolleyes:

I'll quote my own post from the 'Vote on moderator rules'.

How about letting moderator 1 move the contents of the post to the QP drop box and leaving a message stating "This post has been temporarily removed pending consideration of the Moderator Team. A decision whether to edit, delete or reinstate the post will be forthcoming within X hours - Moderator's name" Additionally, a statement to the effect of "Please resist the urge to complain about or debate the legitimacy of this action until the Moderator Team has come to a decision."

It may not be the perfect solution, but I think it respects everyone's feelings and gives a moderator a chance to make the initial decision quickly (before a flamefest can erupt).

Basically I agree with your approach to moderating, and what you have written is VERY much what I've written on the subject.

I think your post highlights the fact that we need to have proper rules and procedures in place. Depending on the good will of people and mods to always respond to things in a mature and reasonable manner is naive.

Yes, that is why I was the one to first suggest the three mod rule and why I've advocated it so strongly from the very beginning, even before we set up this site and were on the temp site.

I'll not respond to the rest of you post, as I have no desire to discuss any thing that went on at some other forum, nor do I wish to quote words that I feel are inappropriate for "Family Woodworking".

Cheers!!