Bending Plywood on the market

There is a product on the market that will be of interest to some.
Bending plywood is the one I mention here.
The pictures below are of bending plywood, not sure if the surface is okuome, virola or what but it bends as can be seen.

These photos are of a thin strip 1 5/8" wide. It is 5/16" thick, 3 ply.
It comes as I know of it in either 4'x8' or 8'x4'. One rolls like an 8' column, the other rolls like a 4' tall table support.
The thinner the ripping the more bendable it is.

bending plywood 001.jpg

bending plywood 002.jpg

bending plywood 003.jpg

bending plywood 004.jpg

bending plywood 005.jpg

bending plywood 006.jpg

bending plywood 007.jpg

bending plywood 008.jpg

bending plywood 009.jpg

bending plywood 010.jpg
Shaz :)
More in post #2

I've used various forms of bending plywood for many years. It's very common in many commercial shops. The forms I've seen vary from bending poplar which is smooth on both sides to material that has a very porous side opposite a smooth side. One uses what is appropriate for a particular project. A 4x8 sheet is called "column" because it can form into a column up to 8' tall; 8x4 is called "barrel" because it will bend into a shape similar to a barrel in its native size. Either column (4x8) or barrel (8x4) can be used for projects no larger than 4' x 4'.

It's particularly useful for projects with curved surfaces that are to be veneered. For my applications, I've used 1/8" thick bending ply to build assemblies from 1/2" to 7/8" thick prior to application of veneer.

Finding local suppliers isn't always easy and you sure won't find it at the borg.

:thumb:

Last edited:
Pretty cool stuff Shaz! We worked with KerfKore and Timberflex from IPI for a few years. similar outcome, but different beast all together. I kept my focus on the project end - if I had time to dream up new things to do with this stuff, I'd never finished it, Reminds me of fun times.

Wes

I've used various forms of bending plywood for many years. It's very common in many commercial shops. The forms I've seen vary from bending poplar which is smooth on both sides to material that has a very porous side opposite a smooth side. One uses what is appropriate for a particular project. A 4x8 sheet is called "column" because it can form into a column up to 8' tall; 8x4 is called "barrel" because it will bend into a shape similar to a barrel in its native size. Either column (4x8) or barrel (8x4) can be used for projects no larger than 4' x 4'.

It's particularly useful for projects with curved surfaces that are to be veneered. For my applications, I've used 1/8" thick bending ply to build assemblies from 1/2" to 7/8" thick prior to application of veneer.

Finding local suppliers isn't always easy and you sure won't find it at the borg.

Hi Bill :wave:, Thanks for that wonderful, additional input!! Any chance you would share a project for the folks here, even just old photos would be a nice highlight. :D Your added information really adds to the value of this thread!:thumb: Thanks,
S :)

:thumb:

Pretty cool stuff Shaz! We worked with KerfKore and Timberflex from IPI for a few years. similar outcome, but different beast all together. I kept my focus on the project end - if I had time to dream up new things to do with this stuff, I'd never finished it, Reminds me of fun times.

Hi Wes :wave:,
Do you have any pictures of the kerform or timberflex? I don't know if I ever saw these products used.:huh: I have noticed the Kerf -Form in some trade magazines though.
As I recall, the kerfed forms I have seen were used for the bottom riser of curved staircases . I have seen alot of handmade kerfed forms, some more like smurf forms:rofl:, poorly done, matter of fact, I think a few of mine were like that a while back!:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:...No not YESTERDAY!:rofl::rofl:..
Must focus on the project end, that is where I am too. This stuff conjures up some seriously fanciful ideas!:rolleyes:
Thanks,
Wes

Pretty amazing stuff, Shaz. I knew it existed, but didn't realize how tight of radius it could turn.
Hi Vaughn :wave:,
It really is fun stuff, especially the thin rippings that get left over :), as you can see :D and then once bent and secured in whatever bent position, a veneering makes it look like solid beautiful material! Someone else might know if you can veneer it first, but I kind of doubt that process.:dunno:

So whatcha making with it Shaz?

Hi Ian :wave:,
Over in "Flatwork Project Showcase" there is a thread going on
entitled "A small arch top wine cabinet" that is in progress. Come on over:) S

The bending ply is a fun product. As Bill mentioned earlier, forget the Borg's but check out suppliers of "Wood", "Lumber" retail, used, wholesale, "Timber", and maybe "Hardwoods" in you yellow pages. Also check out "Builders Hardware" and ask them questions about your projects and wood needs. The Borg's (Big Orange Retail Giant) is too limited to some one hunting special stuff, and their pricing can be outrageous on some items too, like trim and solid stock.

"Hi Bill :wave:, Thanks for that wonderful, additional input!! Any chance you would share a project for the folks here, even just old photos would be a nice highlight. :D Your added information really adds to the value of this thread!:thumb: Thanks,
S :)"

I have some old photos of some projects I worked on at a commercial shop after I "retired" from my real job. :huh: I started on some radius tops for a couple of treasure boxes I designed, then we decided to move from Florida to Georgia and I haven't gotten back to those yet.

In most cases, we sandwiched one piece of 1/8" bending ply between two pieces of 3/8" to get almost 3/4" total thickness. As with other dimensional materials, 1/8" and 3/8" are slightly less than those thicknesses. By the time veneer is added to the assembly, the final thickness is real close to 3/4"

As you can see from the attached photos, bending ply is used for everything from very gentle radii to some that are relatively tight. The radii on the pieces in the photos vary from about 10" for the piece with the half-round feature on the end of the cabinet to several feet for the doors and drawer fronts on a base cabinet.

Constructing a bending form for items such as these requires planning, of course. In general, MDF is a good choice because of its stability. I don't have a photo of the steps for building a form, but it's a straight-forward systems of radiused ribs glued to a base. Bending ply is then added to the top of the ribs to provide a solid base for the material assembly to bend against. In the shops, formica was used as the top layer of the form to keep adhesive from sticking to it. I have found that I have no problem with sticking if I apply a couple of coats of shellac to my forms.

Choice of adhesive can be dependent upon the desired radius. White or yellow glue is OK for pieces with a gentle radius, but will allow too much spring-back on small radii. I've pretty much settled on using plastic resin glue for items I build using bending ply as well as for bentwood laminations. In general, commercial shops use Unibond 800, a urea-resin glue.

The final step, of course, is holding your assembly against the form while the adhesive sets up. I have a vacuum press that I use for radiused assemblies as well as flat panels. But that's for another thread, I suppose. :thumb:

Attachments

• DR_Stbd_Upr_1.jpg
    DR_Stbd_Upr_1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DR_Drawer_2.jpg
    DR_Drawer_2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Laz_Starburst_01.jpg
    Laz_Starburst_01.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 15
  • NS_P_01.jpg
    NS_P_01.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 12
  • NS_P_02.jpg
    NS_P_02.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 17
Shaz,
Pics can be seen here: http://www.kerfkore.com/products.html

It was really nice to work with. Also it was hard to get the kerfs to telegraph through. Only on the thinnest veneer with tight radii did we see the kerfs. It was no where near as flexible as your bending ply, but it had it's uses (more structural in nature).

Wes

Shaz,

It was really nice to work with. Also it was hard to get the kerfs to telegraph through. Only on the thinnest veneer with tight radii did we see the kerfs. It was no where near as flexible as your bending ply, but it had it's uses (more structural in nature).

Wes
I've seen the kerf core product before, but have never used it. I didn't want to take any chance the kerfs would telegraph. Since I was already familiar with smooth bending ply, I wanted to continue that direction. Here's a link to information on poplar bending ply:
http://www.curvolutions.com/BendingPoplar.html#

This link shows the Treasure Chest built by David Marks on "WoodWorks". The top is made with a core of bending poplar.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_chests/article/0,,DIY_14440_2380916,00.html

Thanks for the post. I've been looking for some bending ply for some time now and was unable to located any nearby hear in New Mexico. I just placed an order with Curvolutions.

Im sorry for being a pest. I was just wondering, and I sorta see in the pics posted, how the bending plys take finishes.
Like oak ply takes stain well, looks good, I was wondering if the bending plys accept different finishes.
( I would like to use some of this product eventually on a cabinet, curving the outer sides.)

And where does one obtain such a product? I could have used it whit that Model T Ford Towncar Project I just finished.

Im sorry for being a pest. I was just wondering, and I sorta see in the pics posted, how the bending plys take finishes.
Like oak ply takes stain well, looks good, I was wondering if the bending plys accept different finishes.
( I would like to use some of this product eventually on a cabinet, curving the outer sides.)
I haven't seen any bending ply made to take stain. They are made to be formed, veneered and then finished.

"Hi Bill :wave:, Thanks for that wonderful, additional input!! Any chance you would share a project for the folks here, even just old photos would be a nice highlight. :D Your added information really adds to the value of this thread!:thumb: Thanks,
S :)"

I have some old photos of some projects I worked on at a commercial shop after I "retired" from my real job. :huh: I started on some radius tops for a couple of treasure boxes I designed, then we decided to move from Florida to Georgia and I haven't gotten back to those yet.

In most cases, we sandwiched one piece of 1/8" bending ply between two pieces of 3/8" to get almost 3/4" total thickness. As with other dimensional materials, 1/8" and 3/8" are slightly less than those thicknesses. By the time veneer is added to the assembly, the final thickness is real close to 3/4"
Hi Bill :wave:,
Thanks for taking time to share this information. It is invaluable to see these photos and hear your easily stated technical knowledge explained!

As you can see from the attached photos, bending ply is used for everything from very gentle radii to some that are relatively tight. The radii on the pieces in the photos vary from about 10" for the piece with the half-round feature on the end of the cabinet to several feet for the doors and drawer fronts on a base cabinet.

Constructing a bending form for items such as these requires planning, of course. In general, MDF is a good choice because of its stability. I don't have a photo of the steps for building a form, but it's a straight-forward systems of radiused ribs glued to a base. Bending ply is then added to the top of the ribs to provide a solid base for the material assembly to bend against. In the shops, formica was used as the top layer of the form to keep adhesive from sticking to it. I have found that I have no problem with sticking if I apply a couple of coats of shellac to my forms.

Choice of adhesive can be dependent upon the desired radius. White or yellow glue is OK for pieces with a gentle radius, but will allow too much spring-back on small radii. I've pretty much settled on using plastic resin glue for items I build using bending ply as well as for bentwood laminations. In general, commercial shops use Unibond 800, a urea-resin glue.

The final step, of course, is holding your assembly against the form while the adhesive sets up. I have a vacuum press that I use for radiused assemblies as well as flat panels. But that's for another thread, I suppose. :thumb:

Bill, once more:wave:,
Thanks for this valuable input. Maybe we should start a thread on "How I bend things":rolleyes:. It would be a great one if you join in!:D

Shaz,

Hi Wes :wave:,
I went and visited those links. Thanks! They offer some information to several really nice products. The curve is ruined when the kerf is visible,... seen that!:doh:This may very well be the way Allen Levine would like to go, you know, with the stainable poplar?
Important input for an otherwise mysterious process, bent forms!:eek::D
Thanks, appreciate your input, have you curved, or bent pictures?:rolleyes:
Wes

I've seen the kerf core product before, but have never used it. I didn't want to take any chance the kerfs would telegraph. Since I was already familiar with smooth bending ply, I wanted to continue that direction. Here's a link to information on poplar bending ply:
http://www.curvolutions.com/BendingPoplar.html#
Hey Bill Arnold,
Gotta make you feel good, knowing you have already helped someone (Rick Levine) find something which was prior to this either unknown of or elusive at best. Thanks from me too.:thumb:

This link shows the Treasure Chest built by David Marks on "WoodWorks". The top is made with a core of bending poplar.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_chests/article/0,,DIY_14440_2380916,00.html

Hi Allen :wave:, You Pest ! :rofl: Just kidding, questions are part of the sharing thing that this place is all about.:D You fit right in.:):thumb: I think, please feel free to correct me, that if you use the bending plywood for a cabinet as you mention, you will need to add a veneer on the surface in keeping with the solid woods in that piece. If you can use poplar for the piece itself, then maybe you can use the kerfcore or Timber flex products that Wes mentions.:dunno: Or you can just go off and get jiggy with it and let the wood do what it does and be happy with that!!!!!You are the creator/designer, please the client! :thumb:

And where does one obtain such a product? I could have used it whit that Model T Ford Towncar Project I just finished.
Hi Bill :wave:,
Check the links above listed courtesy of Wes and Bill. :thumb:

I haven't seen any bending ply made to take stain. They are made to be formed, veneered and then finished.

The plywood is wood so it will stain, the results are however are unconventional. I did two ovular cylinders, in my earlier ignorance,:rolleyes: for a conference table. They were for Boots and Cootes, made out of the bending ply, stained them dark, dark rich mahogany ("Blonde-It" stain with a lacquer top coat). They were set in rather far and were actually rather nice looking, under a hugh table set in away from the light, and difficult to see.:rolleyes: