Turned, Burned, and Dimpled Cherry

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I guess you could call this bowl a collaboration. A few weeks ago I picked up some wood from Spinner over on the Woodturner's Resource forum. He's downsizing his shop and lathe, so I took mostly big pieces from him. Among the things laying around his shop was a roughed and dried cherry bowl. Since he was selling the 3520 and wasn't going to be able to finish turning it on his Jet mini, he told me to take it. I pretty much followed the form he started with...just made it round and smooth, and dressed up the rim a bit. (With apologies to Keith Burns.) It's 14" x 3 1/2", finished with General Salad Bowl Finish and three-wheel buffed.

Bowl 051 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 051 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 051 - 03 800.jpg

BTW, what looks like tool marks in the second and third pics is actually evidence that I didn't get the inside curve perfect. There's a bit of a break in it, and the lighting really emphasized it. Won't be all that noticeable all covered up with salad. :p

Opinions and suggestions are welcome -

I really like that rim treatment. It elevates the bowl to a much higher level. Very nice looking and very well done.

One of these days I am going to try some of this stuff. You guys make it look so easy and I know better. Maybe that's why I haven' tried it yet.

Hey Vaughn,

I really like this piece! When I "borrow" your idea do I dimple then burn or the other way around? By the way, what did you dimple with?

thanx,
Pete

Just simply love it Vaughn!

If I ever get this wall done, and I get back to some turning (I think I remember where I left my lathe :huh:) I think I'll try that too :thumb:

So, I'm guessing burn then dimple........ right? :D

:wave:

I like that a lot, Vaughn. It's a classic shape, beautiful wood and the rim treatment really enhances the overall look. Like the others, I'm interested in the process and tools used to burn and dimple the rim.

Thanks guys. :) The rim was dimpled using a Dremel (with a small ball-shaped burr bit) then burned with a woodburning pen that has a "shader" tip. After I dimpled it, I decided that it didn't have enough contrast; you could barely see the dimples. The shading definitely gave it the contrast.

Really nice Vaughn. I like the wide rim with or without the burning. Wait a second that sounds bad :doh: what I mean is the shape of the rim is cool but the burning is also very cool. :thumb:

WOW

Vaughn,

Really nice bowl. All the features really work together. I'll have to log the design away in case I ever get a "real" lathe! :rofl: