If my brain doesn't get me, my heart just might!

It was not a good day. :(

All was well this morning when I went to work, but about 10 AM I had one of those massive seizures I get now and then. No big deal, I felt it coming on,flopped around in the bathroom (out of sight) for a bit and then came too...a bit sore but no real worse for wear. But as I returned to the Milling Machine I noticed I was not recovering as normal. My heart, well it just was not feeling right. It would have spasms of pain, and after an hour or so, that was not getting better...it was getting worse.

Now I hate Doctors and hate emergency rooms even worse, but I decided I had better go. Well to the Dr's anyway, those emergency rooms get expensive even if you do have good insurance. So I passed the first hospital without much thought. The second hospital was a little harder to pass but the thought of big bills spurned me onward, but once I hit Belfast, I decided the chest pain was too much. With the Dr still 20 minutes away (I work a long way from home) I decided Belfast Hospital was a good place to inquire about the old ticker.

Surprisingly there was no waiting for this kid, as I got admitted right off quick. After I was plastered with 3 nurses and a Dr all working at once, an EKG, chest xrays and a battery of tests, it was determined that it was not the heart that was bad. It seems in my seizure I had torn some of the muscles that connect the muscles around my heart with my ribs. As I breath, those ribs pull those stretched muscles making it kind of feel like heart-pain, but its not. That's good I guess, but since you cannot rest those muscles for very long without catastrophic results to the lungs, its kind of a tough recovery. (Breathing painfully is better then not breathing after all), so yes every breath is painful.

But I got some special meds to help reduce the swelling, and some medicine to kill some of the pain. Luckily the Pharmacy had my anti-seizure medicine in stock today (they were out on Saturday) so hopefully this will be avoided altogether in the future. It was not really fun. Still considering what some of the other people have endured on here (Vaughn's 20 foot free fall from the freeway comes to mind) I faired pretty good. It does make you think though about what's important.

Just food for thought. Everyday is a good day after all.

Last edited:
WOW Travis, That sounds like a rough day. Time to take some time off and recuperate. I can't say as I feel your pain but, I had surgery on my throat a number of years ago and the doc casually mentioned that in rare cases some people feel like they are having a heart attack as a result of the surgery because the same nerve that goes to the heart also goes to the area that they worked on in my throat. ......Of course I happened to be one of those rare cases. As soon as the pain meds wore off, I felt as though a horse had kicked me in the chest. I had to go back to the hospital and endure all the wires and monitors and people fussing over me. It wasn't any fun. I sure hope you feel better soon. I'll say a prayer or 2 for you.

That is what what I would call a hard day! I wish you a complete and quick recovery and I'm glad that everything was muscular after all.

PM Sent.

Just lay flat on the floor and let that little girl of yours flop down on top of you, then you will know pain (both good and bad!). :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Or about the time you think you are getting better and grab her to lift her or swing her and you about let her go when the bolts of pain cause lightning to be created behind your eyeballs blocking all other views. :eek::eek:
Take care and heal it right the first time.

Travis,
sorry to hear bout your troubles, but it's good to know it's not as bad as it could be, or as bad as you thought it might be. You could be hooked up to one of those machinese that goes "Ping". I hope you heal quickly. I've torn a couple of muscles in the past. Don't try to push the recovery too much. anything more than a mild pang means you're re-injuring it. I'm sure it'll drive you nuts. Did they give you an ace wrap for your chest?
Take care - we're pulling for you.
paulh

Yeah its not bad. I got to stay "de-stressed" so every time my wife starts to speak I say "hey, stress level here is going up. Got to stay mum so I can heal." Oh she loves that.

As for this weekend, its pretty quiet as far as weekends go. Now my weekends starts on Friday so I get a bit of a longer rest period. I did do a bit of sheep shopping for some sheep fence, but I'll wait to put that up next week. We have a woman coming today to do the final home inspection for foster care, so today is pretty much just mow,weedwack and pick up the house. The boys are chopping the hay fields as we finally got a bit of sun. I might have to help with that. They just broke a PTO shaft so I welded that up for them early this morning, but they still aren't chopping so I assume something else broke. ??? Other then that I got 3 beef cows to slaughter, but I got tomorrow and Sunday to do that, so all in all it should be a pretty restful weekend.

Stupid Me. Another bad night.

My restful weekend did not go as planned. We ended up putting off the slaughter of those cows until next weekend which freed up yesterday. Well you know me, I can't stand sitting around in good weather, saying nothing about thinking and rethinking about all that sheep fence I have to put up.

So I put up a couple hundred of feet of sheep fence. No big deal,or so I thought. The problem is fence for cows is one measly strand of wire, sheep fence requires at least 5. That's 80% more work and a whole lot more stretching wires, hammer, pulling, tugging and whatnot to get a nice looking sheep fence up. Of course there is the weedwacking, chainsawing work too to get a path for the fence as well.

Guess I over did it. Had to take plenty of painkillers last night, and took some of those dizzying, splitting-headache meds as well and obviously got no sleep. I'll just never learn.

The problem is fence for cows is one measly strand of wire, sheep fence requires at least 5. That's 80% more work and a whole lot more stretching wires, hammer, pulling, tugging and whatnot to get a nice looking sheep fence up.

Travis, Travis, Travis! Take care of yourself; the work can wait and when you are rested it will be easier.

But five stands is 500% more work. :huh:

"Travis."
"Yes, teacher."
"If there are twenty sheep in a field, and one gets out through a hole in the fence, how many sheep are left in the field?"
"None, teacher."
"Travis, there are still nineteen sheep left in the field. Obviously you don't know arithmetic."
"Sorry, teacher, but I do know arithmetic. Obviously you don't know sheep."

Travis, Travis, Travis! Take care of yourself; the work can wait and when you are rested it will be easier.

But five stands is 500% more work. :huh:

"Travis."
"Yes, teacher."
"If there are twenty sheep in a field, and one gets out through a hole in the fence, how many sheep are left in the field?"
"None, teacher."
"Travis, there are still nineteen sheep left in the field. Obviously you don't know arithmetic."
"Sorry, teacher, but I do know arithmetic. Obviously you don't know sheep."

Yes you are right. The worst thing is I already know 5 strands won't be enough, I will have to add at least two strands when the snow hits this winter. If we have the snow we had last winter, then it will mean 5 strands :)

Yes you are right. The worst thing is I already know 5 strands won't be enough, I will have to add at least two strands when the snow hits this winter. If we have the snow we had last winter, then it will mean 5 strands :)

Methinks you need to spend several days in a recliner with your feet up.
But, then, saying that ignores the facts of life on a farm. I understand. When it needs to be done, it needs to be done. Get help if you can and take care.