Butternut Chalice

Our priest asked me to turn him a chalice and paten to celebrate mass on sundays. He puts wine and water in the chalice and drinks it during mass. The chalice is butternut(white walnut) and the paten is walnut. The box is oak and I used a Freaud box joint table saw blade to make the box joints. This blade is amazing and cuts perfect finger joints. I finished with several coats of semi gloss poly. Had trouble finding stuff to make the box, since WoodCraft in Pittsburgh closed down. Don't know if this is the nicest turning I ever turned but it is the turning that made me the most proud since father asked me to turn it for him. Mitch

Attachments

• DSC01892.JPG
    DSC01892.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC01891.JPG
    DSC01891.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01896.JPG
    DSC01896.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC01897.JPG
    DSC01897.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 47
I dunno if it's the nicest piece you've turned, but it's sure the nicest one of yours I remember seeing. Great job on the turning, and great job on the box, too. (I agree with you on the Freud box joint blade set. It rocks.)

You have very good reason to be proud of this project, Mitch. I'm betting it'll be treasured for a long time. :thumb:

Vaughn
Thank you for the kind words and coming from a man that knows his way around a lathe as well as You do I take the reply as high praise. Thanks. Your right about the Freaud blades they are the best system I ever used. Just make a simple jig and set up and go. Mitch

Cody
Thank you Cody. Appreciate it. I was just looking at your recent post and liked the great vases you turned. Vases are what I spend most of my time turning. Think I am a little burned out with vases though, can't get a good idea lately. Your right about box joints though I love making them. Mitch

Great work. IMHO I understand why the priest asked for it, he knew that what he was going to get would not deceive him.

After all nobody knows in what sort of material they drunk on the last supper, but for sure it wasn't gold and I think that wood or clay are more likely materials.

Great work. IMHO I understand why the priest asked for it, he knew that what he was going to get would not deceive him.

After all nobody knows in what sort of material they drunk on the last supper, but for sure it wasn't gold and I think that wood or clay are more likely materials.

Toni, I believe you are absolutely correct. Michael got some negative comments on another fourm because of his choice of material. Sad.
As we say in the south, "He dun gud". Beautiful work. :thumb:

Mitchell that is perfect. You did good.

As far as negative comments on the material tell them to send you a bar of gold and you will be happy to turn it out of that. :)