Safety Alert!!

Paul Downes

I don't suppose this is the right place to post this but, I figure it will be seen by more folks here and It can be moved if deemed necessary.

A friend of mine who owns a moulding factory burns the sawdust he produces for heat. We're not exactly sure what happened but apparently he was checking his sawdust furnace because he noticed it smoldering. We think he opened the furnace door causing a fireball to erupt outward. He sustained 1st and 2nd degree burns to his head and arms and is in the hospital on a morphine drip. He is expected to make a full recovery.

I thought it might be good to bring this up for you folks who burn wood to remember to be very careful when opening the door on a furnace when a fire is present. If there are unburnt gases present the added oxygen can cause quite a flash back/fireball. NEVER stand in line with the door when opening it. I always stand behind the door and turn partly away at arms length when I open it. BE SAFE!!

Thanks for posting this, Paul. It's a good heads-up for everybody. I hope your friend recovers quickly and completely.

On a semi-related note, I learned learned years ago what happens when you use Coleman fuel as "boy scout juice" to start a fire in a Franklin stove. I had sprinkled the wood with fuel, and started to toss a lit match into the stove. The match got to within about 4 or 5 feet of the opening on the stove, and the resulting fireball blew out of the stove and across the full length of the cabin's living room. Fortunately, I was standing out of its path. One of those stupid things most of us do from time to time...just thankful to have not been hurt by the "lesson".

Hope you friend makes a speedy recovery. "NEVER stand in line with the door when opening it" just about says it all. I catch myself doing things I normally don't now and then through distraction or 'boredom of repetition'. We all have to be our own safety captains out there. Thanks for the reminder.