Boat got a nose job. Almost Repaired

Jeff Horton

Not sure how this happened. But it had to happen on the night paddle. I just discovered it today. I assume when I beached it and went to get out. I lost my balance and rolled it over on it's side. I must have rolled the nose onto a rock. In the dark I never saw it. :(

That is the only thing that makes sense as it took some force to do that. And I haven't dropped it or anything that could have done that.

nosejob2.jpg

I always said it was made to use and not look at. So I just got to study it a little bit and figure out the best way to repair it. Then repair it so I get back on the water.

Last edited:
Well that bites. :bang: Do you think you'll need to patch another piece of wood over it, or can it be filled with something like fiberglass resin?

Ouch!

At least you found it while on dry land, and not at the START of the day :rolleyes:

I wonder if you could dig it out a bit, and patch it with some harder wood, or even :eek: a chunk of aluminum?

I remember a buddy of mine and his dad restored a really nice 1936 Chevy pickup truck, man it was a beauty, much like this one...........
36_chevy_pu.jpeg
..... but in red and black. Notice the small shiny metal step plate on the running board? When they finished the truck, and had it all painted, they left those off, and I was a little surprised, as the paint was getting scratched by everyone who stepped on the running board to get into and out of the truck, I asked my buddy's dad about this, he said "Yep, that is the plan, then when I know where the "Wear" area is, I can fix the paint, and then install the step plates" Made sense to me :thumb:

It is obvious that this was meant to happen Jeff, you were not even aware of your own foresight on this, you now know exactly where an extra strong bit needs to be added to make sure this don't happen again..........;) :D :wave:

Jeff, hang the whole thing on the wall and start from scratch. :wave:

You said you made it to use and not just look at, but we all like to look at it. Glad you are taking the damage well so far...what about an epoxy to fill in the void and then shape it?

buy some kind of rubberized or plastic paste like stuff that you paint on and it seals up and can be painted.(kind of stuff or similar that one puts on a push stick)
Id send you a piece of ipe, the rock would dent, but the boat might sink.

I trimmed the deck with a dovetail saw and replace the missing walnut with an oversized piece. I will plane it shape tomorrow. Then I will address the plywood. I think the 'poxy with some filler will work. A strip of glass over that and she should be good as new.

Hi Jeff :wave:,
You did such a marvelous job designing and building the "Wren", your choice of fix-it will be just perfect.:thumb:
Myself :rolleyes:, I would cap every "point" with stainless steel, in somekind of a Viking, swirled, embossed kind of way.:D
:dunno:Shaz :)

Had sinus headache most of the day but I have managed to get a little bit done. It just need final sanding, then paint and varnish. Maybe I will get paint on this afternoon.

nosejob3.jpg

Jeff! That's a fantastic plastic surgery on a dinosaur's fang! You've done a great job!

It was a pity that broke, but as you said, you made it to use and enjoy it and I believe that repairing it forms part of the enjoyment as well. It cares for you on the water and you care for it on land " quid pro quo" as romans said.

Although IMHO some sort of either hard protection or shock absorbant material would not make any harm...

Looking good, Jeff. When you're done, I doubt the fix will be visible to the average bystander. :thumb: One of the advantages to building your own kayak is that you likely have the know-how to fix anything that needs fixing. Even if it means starting over. ;)