New Tablesaw?

You probably took care of this long ago Stu, but ... how do the dimensions of the largest, non-disassemble-able part of the various saws compare with the size of your "lowering hole"? :huh:

You probably took care of this long ago Stu, but ... how do the dimensions of the largest, non-disassemble-able part of the various saws compare with the size of your "lowering hole"? :huh:

Is asking a guy about the size of his "lowering hole" a violation of the code of conduct? :dunno: :D

Last edited:

Kerry, the whole saw could most likely go down in one piece, but my hoist is only rated to 120 Kg and the saw is 208 Kg, so piece by piece seems the way to go. I would imagine that it comes with "Some assembly required" anyway.

Cheers!

I'm guessing taking the top off would get you close in weight. If not, then the motor too. If you take the top off, be sure to mark the location of any shims.

I'm not sure, but I wonder if the saws would be shipped already assembled? :dunno:

I'm looking more at this, and I'm seeing one thing that I did not see before, the SpokeShave saw has a rail on the front and an angle on the rear, and it sticks out more to the side, which would be a problem for me, in my space lacking shop.

I have to admit, I'm taking a lot closer look at the Steel City Hybrid, one reason is that it does have a cabinet mounted trunnion system, most "hybrids" are mounted to the underside of the table.
I guess I really need to go and have a look see, to lay hands on, so to speak.

Cheers!

PS, the $700 cheaper don't hurt either ;)

The fence rails and angle can be cut if need be. The back rail serves mainly as a lip to hold an outfeed table. My Shop Fox saw needed the switch, fence, wings, guard, and motor cover assembled. The main body came in a box shrink wrapped to a pallet. The wings, fence, and motor cover were in a separate box. All the other goodies were hidden inside the enclosure.

I really liked my Orion made Craftsman saw. Note that the wings on mine were 12" wide making the entire cast top 27"d x 44"w.

Last edited:
Hi Stu,

I would assume you have already seen this from the delta distributor site but for others interested in the latest Stu adventure!

The URL is:http://translate.google.com/transla...?q=SpokeShave+MH110R-30&complete=1&hl=en&sa=X
Here is the feature part Google translation:
(Features)
■余裕の3HPモータで、快適な切断作業ができます。 ■ 3 HP motor relaxed, comfortable work disconnected.
■テーブルソー心臓部のトラニオンは大変頑丈な作りで、機械全体の 振動を極力少なくしています。 ■ TEBURUSO heart of the trunnion is very solid, the overall machine vibration and reduce as much as possible.
■トラニオンを定盤裏側に直接取り付けてない構造ですので、定盤を単独 で調整することが可能で、ノコ刃の完璧な角度微調整ができます。 ■ trunnion stool behind a structure that is not directly attached to the stool by itself can adjust the blade NOKO fine-tune the perfect angle.
■鋳鉄製定盤は高品質の鋳鉄を使用しています。 ■ cast-iron stool is using high-quality cast iron. また、定盤表面の研 磨仕上げは鏡のような仕上がりとなっています。 The surface of the stool Migaku Ken is like a mirror finish and finish well.
■マイタゲージ溝の精度が高く、よって、マイタゲージの操作性が優れ 遊びがほとんどありません。 ■ MAITAGEJI groove accuracy is high, so MAITAGEJI operation is better than most games.
■駆動ベルトは、3本のVベルトを使用していて、確実な動力伝達を保 障しています。 ■ drive belt, three V-belt use and the keeper of a reliable power transmission to people with disabilities.
■スイッチは安全なマグネット式です。 ■ ceremony magnet switch is safe.
■リップフェンスの動きは大変スムーズ且つ正確です。 ■ fence lip movements are very smooth and accurate.
■ノコ刃の昇降、傾斜ハンドホイールの直径は余裕の200mmで、操作 が大変楽です。 ■ NOKO elevating the blade, tilt wheel hand margin of 200 mm in diameter, the operation is very easy.
10"ヘビーデューティ・テーブルソー(MH110R)+50"フェンス 10 "HEBIDYUTI TEBURUSO (MH110R) +50" fence
(写真に付属するものは、延長テーブル以外は全てMH110R-50の標準付属品です) (Photo attached to the extension table MH110R-50 are all non-standard accessories.)
10"ヘビーデューティ・テーブルソー(MH110R)+30"フェンス 10 "HEBIDYUTI TEBURUSO (MH110R) +30" fence
(写真に付属するものは、全てMH110R-30の標準付属品です) (Photo is included with all standard accessories MH110R-30)
モータ Motor

I never would have thought it would be テーブルソー心臓部のトラニオンは大変頑丈な作りで! :rofl:

Well a good trunnion is the center, or base of a good saw, with a lousy trunnion, but a good table and a good motor, I think the saw would suck.

Thus, I think they are right that a good trunnion is the base of a good saw. :thumb:

Last edited:
With Jim's numbers I did a quick mock-up :Dsnip
The rail is centered on the table top, but I was talking to another buddy on a different forum, and he made a great suggestion, he said I should go for the longer rail, but then cut it off and rig up a connection between the cut off piece and the piece on the saw, some sort of slide in, secure in place with a bolt, or something, this way, if I ever do need to use the large cut size it would be only a matter of minutes to get that extra capacity, going to have to noodle that one!
snip
Certainly be interesting if I decide to buy this saw:rolleyes::wave:

I'd think you could do this accurately, if you can find some steel tubing that is a tight fit inside the existing rail. Once cut, put the inside piece in the existing rail and drill holes, pull apart and tap the holes on the inside piece, redrill the rail so the bolt goes through and then slide the cut off on and repeat. I would think the inside piece could be about 16" long and get very good strength. You would have to devise some legs for the cut piece to keep it stable, but that would be easy to do.

I agree that the Spoke Shave saw looks very familiar. It is interesting, to me, that the 3 comparo pictures you posted of the saws shows the dust port opposite the motor on the Spoke Shave and Grizzly, but under the motor on the Shop Fox. All being right tilt saws, except the SF. These are pictures I haven't seen before. The Delta Unisaw has the dust port out the back of the saw. Not sure about the Delta hybrid. Something you will want to investigate, as you don't want the collection hook up to be where you need to walk, especially in your shop!! Jim.

"Earnings clearly made sacrificing the transportation to English techs".

The King's English: (It makes more sense without the English translation). :rolleyes: :huh: :D

On a more serious note, here are pics of the trunnions of a Steel City industrial cabinet saw and a Griz 1023. Similar designs, but some distinct differences. The SC trunnion looks very much like the Spokeshave's to me.

sccabtrunnion.jpg g1023sl_det1.jpg 0-Spokeshavetrunnion.jpg

Stu, in case you haven't seen them already, here are some pics of the inside of an SC hybrid and a 22124...they look identical to me:

SChybridtrunnion.jpg 1-22124trunnion.jpg
22124topview.jpg

sawcloseup-1.jpg

Last edited:
Stuart...

fwiw, I have a Grizzly G1023SL. It's predecessor was a Delta contractor saw with Unifence...the best part about the Delta was the fence. I gave it to my brother when I bought the G1023, and I have not missed it. One thing to consider about contractor style saws is the difficulty in aligning the table (ie, miter slots) to the blade...I don't know if the hybrids have solved this problem or not, but with a cabinet-style saw it's nowhere near as difficult. When I added an Exaktor sliding table to my G1023, the fence rail extended too far to the left (Exaktor became the left wing) so I just cut it off. No problem. I've fallen out of like with Delta after a few disappointing experiences, but I admit I've never used their cabinet saw...it does seem to be the exception to the Delta no-quality rule (I expect I'd have to ward off attackers after that statement if y'all could find me, but sorry, it's the way I feel about it). That's impressive research you're doing. When you get that saw, and it has disappeared down that hole, it will be right.

Those are some useful comparison photos folks have provided.

Cheers.

Scott, thanks for those pics, they are great!

I guess the "22124" saw you are talking about is the "Craftsman 22124", right?

I noticed on one of the blogs, here in Japan, one guy said his Steel City hybrid came with a fence that had a big "Craftsman" sticker on it. :rofl:

Gee, guess the come from the same factory eh ;) :D

Well, I have to say, I'm sure leaning towards the Steel City MW35600JP Hybrid saw.

I've also been looking at t really big change in the Dungeon layout.... :doh:

:wave:

Last edited:
...I guess the "22124" saw you are talking about is the "Craftsman 22124", right? ... guess the come from the same factory eh ;) :D

Yep, the Cman 22124 is made by Orion who also makes the SC hybrids and is owned by Steel City. The two saws are very similar and share many parts but are not identical. SC offers a 3hp version of the hybrid that has some beefed up trunnion parts. SC puts the same parts on the 1-3/4hp version too. SC offers a Biese "style" fence, that many say is better than a Biese.

Stuart Ablett : I have to agree with Jim Delaney about the Grizzley, I have a Delta and am very happy with it. But what I've found out about the Grizzley that would be may next choose if I was to buy another saw!!!!!! Marshall :type:

Stu,
I happened upon the Nov 2007 issue of Popular Woodworking, where they tested 6 Hybrids, in the end the Grizzly G0478, Jet Proshop and steel city 35601 were tied for editor's choice. Their blurb on the Steel city is
The Steel City Saw ties for best hybrid, It is a solid performer with features that rank in the top three in most categories. The drop in blade speed while cutting 1 3/4 " red oak raises concerns about the powere of the sa. This alone drop s the saw from sole possession of the top rating. If having a reliable table saw is appealing to you, this is the one. There are no frills, but aslo no areas of frustration. The largest cutting surface left of the blade translates into the easiest panel and miter guage cutting of the group.

they also tested the Craftsman 22124, Delta 36-717 (likely the one you have access to over there) and the General 50-220C M1

The delta scored the lowest in power, with high vibration.

Hope this helps.

SC offers a Biese "style" fence, that many say is better than a Biese.

I'll have to agree with this comment. The fence on the SC saws moves like it's on glass and locks in the first time right where you want it. The others I've used move in fits and starts, even our Biese fence, like there's something on the rails that keeps it from moving smoothly. They have five saws at the store - Delta, PM, Jet, SC, and Woodtek, and the SC fence is THE best of all of them.

Unfortunately, our Unisaw is still working very well, so we don't have an excuse to replace it with a Steel City.:(