Some bottle stoppers

Chuck Beland

This is my first time trying some bottle stoppers.
Finish was sanding sealer & so far 5 coats of "Cabot spray laquer"

types of wood from the left are

Amboyna, tiger maple, Mahogany & Mahogany with a brass filings.

I really don't like the way the brass came out the epoxy I used made it look dull not shiny any advice on this???

Click pic 2 times for full size.

They all look real good to me, Chuck. Hard to choose a favorite. :thumb:

I like turning bottle stoppers more than pens, since they allow you to mix up the forms a lot more. (Personally, I've never been real fond of pens with creative shapes.)

Thanks Guys,

Frank,
Thanks I check out the E-600. The only JB I know is JB Weld is it made by the same company? where do you get it from?

Vaughn,
Your right I like doing stoppers more then pens more design opportunities.

Jeff,
Take your time think of a design then make it. Don't rush & blow up one like I did trying to finish.

Those bottlestopperes look great. I've never done one but it's on my list.

I like the first one because it reminds me of the front knob on a bench plane.

They all look real good to me, Chuck. Hard to choose a favorite. :thumb:

I like turning bottle stoppers more than pens, since they allow you to mix up the forms a lot more. (Personally, I've never been real fond of pens with creative shapes.)

Agreed on the creative shapes on pens. They (creative shapes) often look unnatural and dorky and are usually uncomfortable to write with. IMHO, the kit designs are (usually) well thought out and a pen turned B to B (bushing to bushing) is the best way to go. Choice of woods, fit and finish, all done right make a beautiful pen that will sell for a good price.
Bottle stoppers are fun and make fine gifts. They can be hard to sell because of the high cost of the stopper parts. They are also a good way to use up scraps of fine wood.