Tour of Frank Pellow's Shop -Dec 2006

Tell us about Pellows' Camp.
How big.
How long have you had it?
Build from scratch?
Is it an island?
Thanks.
There is away too much to tell for this thread Tyler. I will think about putting something together and starting a thread in the Off Topic forum, but it won't happen until some time next year.

A brief answer to your specific questions:

How big? About 2 acres

How long have you had it? My Dad bought it in the early 1920s

Build from scratch? There are four building on the island and I built them all from scratch.

Is it an island? Yes (and we have the whole island).

Excellent job, Frank.:bonkers:

Well laid out and nicely constructed. I especially like the "lounge" area. Settle down with a fire in the stove, and look at the latest Lee Valley catalog. ;)

You have a right to be proud of your shop. If it were mine, I would be.:thumb:

Frank:

Did you ever get the blade drift issue figured out with your Band Saw?

I seem to remember that you had some sort of issue with the fence and blade.

Joe

Frank:

Did you ever get the blade drift issue figured out with your Band Saw?

I seem to remember that you had some sort of issue with the fence and blade.

Joe
Yes thanks Joe I did. :) I had trouble figuring out how to adjust the fence, but it was one of those things that, once you figure out, is obvious. :eek: I still need to buy a decent blade for resawing though.

Last edited:
good post frank! how did you draw the floor plans that you`ve included? thanks, tod
Thanks Tod.

I am not sure what software I used to draw the original plan. It was some freebee that I no longer have. If anyone recognizes the style, I would appreciate hearing what software it is.

Once I had the original plan, I saved a bitmap copy of it. I used that copy as input to the Microsoft Paint program (another freebee) and manipulated it to move things around and make other changes. I also used it to create all the "maps" that I included in the tour.

I think you are missing something in your tour Frank.

I seem to remember a screwdriver that has served you well over the years.

I also believe you could tell a bunch of stories about this multi-purpose tool.

I know some may know this already, but since this is a new forum with new members, you might want to mention a few. I know I enjoyed reading about it previously.

Joe

You know Frank, it looks as though you have planned your shop and are doing quite well with your machine placement. Thanks for the explanatory and pictorial tour. Nice visiting:thumb:
Shaz

Hey Joe, I guess that your eyesight is not very good. :D I just checked and the screwdriver that you are talking about is on the far right side of the first photo in part 3 of the tour. Here is a blowup of that part of the photo with a red arrow pointing to the screwdriver.

old screwdriver.JPG

Of course I remember the thread, but I don’t have access to SMC any more so I can’t look at it. However, I do keep an extensive weekly journal and often material in my journal ends up in threads on the internet. I will check tomorrow to see if I have notes about the screwdriver and if I don’t I will try to compile the list of uses again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Added Later:

OK, I started a thread here about the screwdriver. See: http://familywoodworking.org/public_html/forums/showthread.php?t=1151

Last edited:
Mark, Vaughn, Stu, Chris (Barton), Chris (Mire), Tod, Art, Rennie, Ed, Jim, Cecil, James, Jay, Ken (Whitaker), Reg, Ken (Garlock), and Shaz I am glad that you all enjoyed the tour of my shop and I thank you for writing a post to tell me so. Also thanks for the many compliments on the shop itself.

I have often wondered, Frank.... which one are you? Red hat or White?

Nice shop as well. ENVY is my condition right now as I are stuck in a Basement Dust Bowl

Wow, that was very detailed.

Looks like a woodworking bench -- I see the wooden screw vise -- beside the sheet goods rack in the garage. Is there some reason you don't use that in your shop?
Well spotted Art. Yes it is a woodworking bench. It was made in Sweden and cost me about $75 about 35 years ago. It was ideal for the very small shop and the very small budget that I had at the time and is too well made to get rid of. But, it is far too light for for the kind of hand work that I want to do now.

And thanks for being the modern day "inventor" of shop progress threads. At least for me, your's was the first I had seen.[/B] Jim.
Mine is also the first one that I saw. I expect that there will have been others somewhere but, if not, I am very glad to have started something. I really enjoy shop construction threads and it is clear that many other folks do as well.