Tormek Setup

Well finally made it home Friday night after being on the road with my job. Next month is even going to be worse since it is the end of the fiscal year and performance check up time. Anyway got the little bench done and the two drawers done to hold my new Tormek T-7. One drawer holds the turning jigs and the other the hand tool jigs. I got the Tormek setup today and got to use it a little well maybe a lot. The LOML seemed to think since it cost $799 that the first things sharpened should be here kitchen knives and her (14 pair) of scissors. Yep I did them all and wow does it work well. Her knives will shave my arm after sharpening and honing. Her test to see if I got her scissors sharp enough was to cut some denium so they did with no problem. I also sharpened two of my cheapest bowl gouges that I got when I first started turning then took them to some pine just to try them. It is amazing the difference. Anyway happy to have it done and ready to go to work.

Attachments

• Tormek 1.jpg
    Tormek 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Tormek 2.jpg
    Tormek 2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Tormek 3.jpg
    Tormek 3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Tormek 4.jpg
    Tormek 4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 29
Looks like a great setup, Bernie. I'll be interested to see how you like it for your turning tools after you've used it a while. (I've been seriously tempted to get the Grizz version of a wet grinder, then add a few Tormek jigs. I know it's a sacrilege, but it seems a bit more cost effective.)

Bernie,

I like your setup. I bought the T7 the last day of the "grinding wheels for life" sale. I, too, love the job it does on all my tools. I used it on some of the turning tools and while it did a superior job, it took longer that using the wolverine. It's kind of a toss up. If I'm in the middle of turning and need to get the edge back to finish up, I think I'll use the wolverine. If I'm sharpening the chisels or knives, the T7 is the one. I've even used them in concert when I've bought an old used chisel, I'll get the shape going on the wolverine and then let the T7 finish it up. I guess It's whatever works.

Regards,

Thanks guys. Lee it is a cheap little stand I built out of plywood with a back on it. It has two drawers in it with storage below them. It is on casters and I made it tall enough that I can sharpen without stooping or having to stand on a box. It is very comfortable for me at 6'. I do sit when I do scissors because it is easier with those. I know the question is going to come up but yes it does take slightly longer to put a edge on a gouge while turning maybe a minute and a half but I am a hobbiest so who cares. If you are not a production turner I don't see the point that I have heard that it takes two minutes to put a edge on. I took my cheapest 1/2" gouge from PSI tonight and finished turning a walnut bowl. I never had to go back. It was sharp from start to finish and left a pretty fair finish on the last cut. Bill Grumbine's vertical shear cut made the prettiest angle hair shavings. I started sanding at 150 grit. Now as they say your mileage may vary but that is what happened tonight. I will give a update when I have had more of a chance to run several gouges thru their paces along with the Tormek.

Yep Bill. I still use it. My bowl gouges, detail gouges and gouges I use for final cuts or finishing cuts. If I want to put a new shape on a gouge I use the wolverine and then go to the Tormek.