A Coring I -- I have GONE!

Stuart Ablett

Today the post man delivered a box from the US, from Ray Klosek who sold me his slightly used McNaughton Coring rig :thumb:

The box survived the trip, but it sure got damaged..........
mcnaughton_rig_box_top.jpg mcnaughton_rig_box_damage.jpg

...thankfully, Ray took the time to wrap everything very well, so it all arrived in fine condition.........

mcnaughton_rig_contents.jpg

Now I just have to finish that wall, then I can maybe play in the Dungeon! :D :thumb: :wave:

Cheers!

Last edited:
Well, I'm painting today, so I'll not get a chance to take it for a test ride, but I did watch the DVD while the first coat was drying, and it looks quite straight forward to me....... :rolleyes:

Last famous words....... :doh: :D

Congrats and be sure to give us a full review when you've put it through it's paces. I've read lots of negative things about that coring system but Bill Grumbine thinks it's the bees knees. I certainly believe Bill but he could make anything work that has to do with turning.

Looking forward to your impression.

Well, I gave it a test drive today, this is not your father's Buick :D

I can see there is a learning curve here, some work to be done and some more practice needed, but..... I can see how this thing works, now I just have to get some more time on it, and read up some more, ask some questions and such, but it works! :thumb:

I have a lot of lousy blanks I've not turned, as I figured they would only be good for practice and for this, they will work fine!

coring01.jpg
I started out with this chunk of wood, some Ginko that I got in December of 2006. The wood is dry and punky, not much good for anything really, well, except for practice :D

See that large chunk of bark sitting there, well it came off the blank at about 1500 RPM and smacked me dead center in the face........ face shield...... as I had my Triton Power Respirator on, I'm sure glad I always where that thing when roughing out!

coring02.jpg
I got the basic shape done, and left a nice big tenon on it.....

coring03.jpg
First set of coring, the look not bad........

coring04.jpg
....... that is until you see the other side.... :doh:

I went way too deep on the first smaller bowl :rolleyes: :eek:

Here is my second try....

coring05.jpg
No funnels this time around, but there is a lot more work to be done.

At least I have a LOT more blanks to practice on :wave:

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nice funnel collection. :p Hopefully you got them all out of your system now.

I'm planning to use up some more of my dried and somewhat punky alder for the same purpose. I'm looking forward to trying it on some fresh, green wood. Aside from my first couple practice sets with dry wood, I've not done any more. I've been concentrating on finishing up other pieces in preparation for the fall show season. I have rough cores sitting around that I don't intend to finish.

I have used a couple of the rough cores for jam chucks on a couple pieces I was finishing. Used with the face pointing to the inside of a bowl, jammed into place with the tailstock, they help reduce vibration when doing any finishing cuts on the outside. Or, chucked up on the headstock, they can be used when reversing the piece to trim off the tenon. I used one on the maple bowl I just posted about. It was too deep for my vacuum chuck, plus it has a crack though the bottom due to a knot, so the vac chuck wouldn't work anyway. I just reversed the walnut bowl into the face of a roughed-out core on the chuck, and turned the tenon down to a nub. Then I sawed and sanded the nub down to finish the bottom.

Well Practice makes perfect, so I guess I still need more practice :eek:

BUT.......... I'm getting there...... :wave:

coring_sets.JPG

Now I need to be able to get four bowls out of the same sized blank.

:D

PS, these bowls are make from some really lousy Ginko wood, so they will all become interesting firewood....

Great job. Someday after I get my shop built I look forward to buying and trying one of those systems. There has to be a viable thing for those funnels. Segment them onto a smaller bowl? Segment them onto another blank and finish the bottom?