Drill Press DC Idea

glenn bradley

Dad was up on Sunday and brought me a piece of Rockler's "funny pipe" (20% coupon had to get used on something). A few parts from the jig-stuff drawer, a scrap of finished oak:

a-Funny-Pipe-1.jpg

I used toilet bolts ground just a bit to slide in the Incra track. Any other method would work as well.

b-Funny-Pipe-2.jpg c-Funny-Pipe-3.jpg

I also made the platform large enough to clamp to other things:

d-Funny-Pipe-4.jpg

Congratulations!

You see, things like that make me hate where I live, I doubt that any shop around will have that pipe, or if they have it you'll have to pay a lot for it!!

I bought one of those expecting some type of attachment gizmo. Nope, no such luck. I also found that it will not fit my 2-1/2" ShopVac hose - won't fit over the end of the hose, won't fit inside the end of the hose....same size. So now I'm trying to find some type of connector that will allow me to attach my vacuum hose to the "funny pipe". Then I'll devise some type of attachment gizmo like you did.

Jim

I bought one of those expecting some type of attachment gizmo. Nope, no such luck. I also found that it will not fit my 2-1/2" ShopVac hose - won't fit over the end of the hose, won't fit inside the end of the hose....same size. So now I'm trying to find some type of connector that will allow me to attach my vacuum hose to the "funny pipe". Then I'll devise some type of attachment gizmo like you did.

Jim

Jim, you might try the rubber drain line couplings that have hose clamps at each end. Something like this:

07140.bmp

I've used them for shop vac hose couplings, and also used the similar rubber reducers to adapt a 4" DC line to fit the 2 1/2" shop vac tools.

another thought that we may have forgot is the shutoff that would be needed is gonna fit right in the hose and then you just tighten that to your DC pipe..
DC pipe -shut off-goofy pipe-chips

A shop-vac hose coupler is what I used. I got 6 of these at Sears on clearance at 49 cents each (I'm always on the lookout for odds and ends on the cheap):

DP-DC cplr.jpg

It clamps into the wood piece and accepts a friction fit from the vac hose and the ridgid-flex stuff:

DP-DC cplr-use.jpg

Our usual go-to stores all have a variation on these end fixtures. I got a couple sets at Rockler during a sale some time back:

DP-DC xtras.jpgDP-DC xtra-on.jpg

With my table's design and my fence, a wrap-around approach to the rear is a common use:

DP-DC xtra-use.jpg

I have some additional parts and blast gates that I plan to rig up as the same auto-on vac is used for the DP's, scroll saw and my smaller BS. It is so easy to just swing the vac hose where I want it that the gates, etc. have been sitting nearby on the floor for months :eek:.

You are one clever guy. Glenn. The next time I am in California, can I visit your shop? :thumb: :D :wave:

You bet Carol. Family members are welcome. My dad and I still groan every time we think about how we missed Larry's phone call as they were driving right past my house. They were going to stop for a quick tour and a breather. By the time I called Larry back, they were at Sam's so dad and I high-tailed it out there to meet up with everybody.

Jim, you might try the rubber drain line couplings that have hose clamps at each end. Something like this:

07140.bmp

I've used them for shop vac hose couplings, and also used the similar rubber reducers to adapt a 4" DC line to fit the 2 1/2" shop vac tools.

Way Cool! I bought one to make a Plumbing connection. Not near as dear as the fixtures for DC connections (geeze they love their stuff) I can see a great presence for that connection and the reducer that is neaded... thanks Vaughn for the insight.

Interesting post, however I find that the drillpress is the least of my dust problems. Except for sanding setups, and any sucker hose does fine. BUT... If I had a flex chute, I sure would use it.

Vaughn, I'll have to check the next time I'm at the hardware store to see if they have one that will fit.

Glen, exactly what I was thinking of but I doubt I'll find them as cheaply as you did.

Sure will be nice to get some dust collection hooked up to the dp especially when sanding with a drum.

Jim

All these jigs are great but just yesterday and again today I used my drill press and later the Oscillating spindle sander and in both cases, all I did was lay the 4" DC hose on the table, Did my tasks and all the dust and spray went up the tube, No jig, no expensive flex joint just graity holding the hose on the table...

Sure if I had such gismos i would use them but find that they are seldom needed.

All these jigs are great but just yesterday and again today I used my drill press and later the Oscillating spindle sander and in both cases, all I did was lay the 4" DC hose on the table, Did my tasks and all the dust and spray went up the tube, No jig, no expensive flex joint just graity holding the hose on the table...

Sure if I had such gismos i would use them but find that they are seldom needed.

Yabbut, they're such fun to make, and the satisfaction is great. Plus, the kicker is, you can post about it to your Family buds after you're sure it works.

Yabbut, they're such fun to make, and the satisfaction is great. Plus, the kicker is, you can post about it to your Family buds after you're sure it works.

Have to agree... Great reading, and if ever... :thumb: Some good ideas pounding around... worth consideration. But how dire?:huh: