Bad Words Were Said

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm steamed. Hacked. Bummed. Irritated. Upset. Livid. And a whole slew of other words that the CoC won't allow me to say.
exploding.gif

I've spent the past few evenings making a NE bowl out of some bone-dry carob wood I got recently. More accurately, some carob-crete...this stuff was the hardest wood I think I've turned. I spent hours just sanding it. Did I mention this wood was hard? It also had a number of cracks, which I diligently filled with charcoal and CA. More time, but it was looking sweet.

I was in the midst of putting the first coat of Antique Oil on it, and it was looking even sweeter. Then it slipped from my hands, dropped on the bench, and a big chunk broke out...all the way into the heartwood. I tried to glue it back into place, but it was not fitting right, and was going to look like a glued-on chunk. Bad words were said. Then I smashed it on the concrete floor and turned it into a few dozen pieces. I could have maybe done something else with the bowl, but by then, I was done with it.

I've got more of this carob-crete, but considering how hard I worked to get this bowl turned and sanded, I think I may wait a while before I try any more. I think it's time to find a nice green piece of wood and turn something easy. Without a natural edge. :bang:

I was really tired, I'd been up since 6 AM so I could get the darn walls done, and my lovely daughters back into their bedrooms. I got the one wall all painted last night, looked GREAT this morning, tore off the tape and plastic stuff from the walls, and the floor etc. I then cleaned everything up, and I did the final sanding on the other wall, then the sealer coat, and finally the paint.

Between coats and the drying of various things, I cleaned up, removed tools, removed material, and packed stuff downstairs to then go to the Dungeon, I finally got all done, I had about 5 or 6 arm loads of stuff to go down to the Dungeon, I started off with two 5 gallon buckets full of tools etc, I got halfway down these stairs.........

stairs_up.jpg

..... and had both of my feet go slip :eek: I dropped both buckets of tools straight down, and went bounce bounce on my (well padded) behind and then straight legged into the concrete floor........ "Ouch" just don't cover it :(

Lots and lots of bad word were said, rather loudly........ :eek:

I've got a RED welt on one wrist, my behind hurts, my back hurts and worst of all, my pride hurts :eek:

When I straight legged into that floor, I was waiting for the sound of bones snapping (a sound I've VERY familiar with) but, I got really lucky on that count....... but man, I thought for sure......

Hey Vaughn, how maybe we cancel each other out :rolleyes: :D :wave:

Sorry about your bowl, that sucks to loose one so close being finished :doh:

Better days ahead..... :thumb:

Stu, my mishap only hurt my feelings...yours hurt a lot more than just your feelings. I was grimacing just reading your description. (A bouncing ride down stairs like that would likely put me in the hospital.) Glad to see you weren't hurt any worse than you were. I know how quickly a sudden demonstration of gravity can affect one's well-being. :rolleyes:

Now get some rest, young man.

Vaughn, the good news is that it's just wood, and it does grow on trees! :D :thumb:

Something tells me you'd get bored with wwing if everything always went without a hitch. FWIW, I learn a new word (or two) with every project! ... Now go wash your mouth out with soap and give it another go! ;)

Last edited:
So sorry for the misfortune both for you Vaughn and Stu. Thankfully, you may do another day. Pleased you are both okay, upset:eek: understandable, but okay:thumb:. Hey Vaughn, Got pictures?:rolleyes: I bet it would have been a grand piece!
Shaz :)

I Shed A Tear....

Sorry to hear about the loss. I feel your pain. I just lost a much easier bowl to make yesterday. I am preparing for my first show, and one of my cherry bowls was too thin at the foot. It was pretty much done, finish and all, and I noticed a weird bump in the bottom of the bowl. It turns out that is was paper thin at the foot, and the foot was telegraphing trough making a ridge. It wasn't that thin when I turned it, so I must have gotten carried away with the power lock disks. Grumble. Yes, bad words were said.

It's always disappointing to invest a lot of effort only for it to turn into a 'learning experience' or 'character builder'. Hope the next one turns out.

Hutch

Since we're all sharing, yesterday morning I went out to get in the car for work, remembered my wife parked behind me so I had to move her car so I could get out. Not that big of a deal, but I was already late and it was a monday morning so I wasn't in the best of moods....As I was getting into her car I noticed her back tire was flat! :doh::(:mad::bang:

Yes bad words were said, although not that loud as my neighbors windows were open and my daughter was with me as well...Changed it in record time, but then had to go back in and change shirts, then go back outside and move her car...got to work about 1/2 hr late, no one really noticed!

Last night I blew up a bowl and completely failed in my first attempt at a bottle stopper...today has started better and I won't be in the shop tonight, so hopefully it will end better too.

Hope you are alright Stu, a fall like that will hurt for awhile, IIRC. :eek: Vaughn, a green piece of wood with long curlies flying all around does sound in order, and Matt, I know the feeling. I'm getting close to my first show as well and I'm having more failures than ever:huh:...time is running out.

Well Vaughn I won't say it has never happened to me and I won't say bad words weren't spoken. Sorry about your bowl but it does happen.:bang:

Stu hope your ok and only your pride was really hurt.

Well, my wishes for a full recovery to each of you.

Vaughn - why not glue all the pieces to a plaque. I think they call that art in SoCal.:rofl:

Stu - I'm trying to visualize your mishap - were you facing away from the ladder when you slipped? Always a bad position to be in to maintain control. Hope your legs and, um:eek:, glute recover OK.:D

I'm steamed. Hacked. Bummed. Irritated. Upset. Livid. And a whole slew of other words that the CoC won't allow me to say.
exploding.gif

:bang:
ouch... but there are other pieces of wood out there. As you well know..

I was really tired, I'd been up since 6 AM so I could get the darn walls done, and my lovely daughters back into their bedrooms. I got the one wall all painted last night, looked GREAT this morning, tore off the tape and plastic stuff from the walls, and the floor etc. I then cleaned everything up, and I did the final sanding on the other wall, then the sealer coat, and finally the paint.

Between coats and the drying of various things, I cleaned up, removed tools, removed material, and packed stuff downstairs to then go to the Dungeon, I finally got all done, I had about 5 or 6 arm loads of stuff to go down to the Dungeon, I started off with two 5 gallon buckets full of tools etc, I got halfway down these stairs.........

stairs_up.jpg

..... and had both of my feet go slip :eek: I dropped both buckets of tools straight down, and went bounce bounce on my (well padded) behind and then straight legged into the concrete floor........ "Ouch" just don't cover it :(

Lots and lots of bad word were said, rather loudly........ :eek:

I've got a RED welt on one wrist, my behind hurts, my back hurts and worst of all, my pride hurts :eek:

When I straight legged into that floor, I was waiting for the sound of bones snapping (a sound I've VERY familiar with) but, I got really lucky on that count....... but man, I thought for sure......

Hey Vaughn, how maybe we cancel each other out :rolleyes: :D :wave:

Sorry about your bowl, that sucks to loose one so close being finished :doh:

Better days ahead..... :thumb:

Stu, you just added incentive for me to figure out a better stair system for my loft. I'm thinking shop tansu myself... something where a series of platforms where I could put things on the platform, get up on it myself with a short ladder and then place things up on the loft floor safely will work better than trying to carry things up a ladder 11'

Hope your pride heals, and the red marks go away soon.

Yep, going down forward like, and my well padded behind still smarts.:rolleyes:

Man that was a stupid thing to do:doh: From now on, one bucket at a time....Need a free hand, just for safety :)

The WORST thing was the new (to me) McNaughton Coring rig was in and amongst one of the buckets......... :eek: But thankfully, the coring rig was just fine! :thumb: :wave:

Hmmm... latest bad words spoken in my shop?

Well, I won't count putting the screwdriver bit through my index finger because I was pushing way too hard on the screw I was trying to drive through the playhouse wall, although that's a good one. Doorlink never comes running just because I'm shouting and screaming out in pain and frustration. I guess she's gotten so used to that she just says "Oh, I guess he's done it again!" No, to get her attention now I have to shout something articulate. So that day, while I went up the stairs cradling the mangled and dripping appendage, I shouted "Blood! Blood!" For some reason, that got her attention! ;)

No, the latest bad words were in the shop on Sunday. Remember my bandsaw decided to break one day last spring? I think it was in April. Anyway, the manufacturer finally shipped me enough of the back-ordered parts. Notice I didn't say *all* the parts, but enough of them so I could jury-rig something. So, I go wandering out there. Of, course, the parts came in three separate shipments, and given the high level of "alternative" traffic in the shop: snakes, birds, four-year-old featherless bipeds, I tend to put such things in special "safe" places... in other words, I hide them from myself! It took much cursing to get them to reveal their hiding places! Then, I've got to take the whole top half of the bandsaw apart again (I put it back together when it broke so I wouldn't lose any pieces). That took a while. As I was taking the blade guide off, a spring fell out of an unexpected place. It made a lot of noise for being just a spring. I examined the offending part and figured it went into the little hole that had a set screw. Figured I'd look at it closer when the time came. :doh:

So anyway, then I went to tackle the real problem: getting the nut off the bottom of the long bolt so I could free the tensioning mechanism. Or, I could just get the spacers off the top of the bolt. I decide to try that. They just turn in my hand, until a certain point. Rats. I need better holding power. I put the whole thing in the bench vise. Works for a while, then I need even more holding power. OK, time to break out the big heavy metal-working vise. Where is it? Oh, yeah: on the floor, next to the wall, right next to the bench. With a bunch of stuff piled on top of it. Right where I last saw the snake disappearing! Better clean the area out before I reach my hand in there! So I blow some compressed air into the mess to get the sawdust out of the way, then broomhandle most of the stuff out of the suspected snake-crannie. In the end, I still have to reach my hand in there... but it comes out, without fang marks, but with a vise handle attached. Cool! :thumb:

Lift the vise up onto the bench. I'm congratulating myself for making the benchtop out of southern yellow pine instead of purpleheart: I don't have to worry about messing up the top, I can just sink some bolts into it to keep a good grip on the vise. So, this far I've only cursed when I couldn't fing the parts, and when the spring fell out, and when I offered my unprotected hand to the snake. But I can't get the bolts to start into the pine. Fine, I'll drill a pilot hole. But my good drills are done at the playhouse worksite. Ok, there's the big old drill I only use for monster jobs. It's handy, and it'll work. Find a bit. But of course, the chuck's gone missing. I've got five (count 'em, 5!) chucks stuck to the drill press to keep them handy. Of course, none of them fit. Fine, I'll just hand tighten. Of course, it keeps slipping. Durn! :eek:

Finally, I get the bolts in, and get the piece tightened in, and start using the vise grips to turn the spacer. But it only goes so far! Durn!. So I try to get the nut off, but that was the original problem. It's completely rethreaded. Just out of frustration, I walk over and pick up the sawzall. That'll fix its wagon! And it did. Sliced through that bolt like a warm knife through a croissant! ;)

So life is good, I get the pieces together, no more cursing, I'm the picture of peace and harmony, I get most of the saw put back together, and I look down on the bandsaw table, and there, just sitting there, all innocent-like, is a ball bearing! Dang! Where in the heck did *that* come from? :dunno:

Of course, I eventually figure out that's what made the loud noise when the spring fell out. I put the blade guard back together, after figuring out why the ball bearing is there and how it must have gone in there. :huh:

I am, on the whole, a peaceful man, but that bandsaw makes me curse more than any other tool. But at least it works again! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Vaughn,
That really sucks I've been there it does make you feel better after you throw it against concrete.:D

Stu,
you know better then carrying to much doing down the ladder. Glad you didn't hurt anything more then your pride.:D

I sure hope all you guys are doing well. Wood , flesh and screwdrivers through body parts.

Here I was feeling pretty bad as I got to the last caliper on my brake job and it wasn't re-manfactured very well. So I took it back for exchange and to pick up brake fluid. They didn't have another at that store and with the runaround I forgot the brake fluid. Ran back to Kmart and they had 4 different labels for brake fluid and no brake fluid.

But after getting back home and reading this I find that I actually had a good day. No damage to self or other things and there will be tomorrow to finish what didn't get done today.

So I hope your tomorrow goes better.......
Garry

I was reading this thread and feeling good about not having any experiences to add.....until today. :eek: :eek:
I was trying - again - to do a NE bowl and just thinking during one cut about Bill Grumbine's advice to make sure you keep your organic parts on the side of the tool rest opposite the bowl when I let my little finger contact the edge of the bowl. OUCH!!! Luckily the bark was rather soft and broke off. So while I'm going to have a very sore finger for awhile at least I don't think anything is broken except the bowl. LOML wanted me go to the doctor but, hey, I'm not that smart. :) Now maybe my signature below really does apply to me. :huh: :dunno:

What's this? The bad word thread?

I guess I'll throw in my own recent bad words experience. I retired recently and that lasted all of a few months. My neighbor who operates a 650 cow dairy operation asked me to feed cows on the weekends. I decided to try it out. During the learning phase I needed practice driving the skid steer so I agreed to load the manure spreader. On about the 3rd bucket I tilted the @%#& bucket the wrong way with the bucket in the air and gave myself a **** baptism. #$*&(*&^)*&)(_*&&_). :bang: At least it was relatively dry stuff. The farmer's brother has done it a few times with liquid version. Now thats BAD. It all washes off and I had to laugh about it. (LATER)

I guess I'll throw in my own recent bad words experience. I retired recently and that lasted all of a few months. My neighbor who operates a 650 cow dairy operation asked me to feed cows on the weekends. I decided to try it out. During the learning phase I needed practice driving the skid steer so I agreed to load the manure spreader. On about the 3rd bucket I tilted the @%#& bucket the wrong way with the bucket in the air and gave myself a **** baptism. #$*&(*&^)*&)(_*&&_). :bang: At least it was relatively dry stuff. The farmer's brother has done it a few times with liquid version. Now thats BAD. It all washes off and I had to laugh about it. (LATER)

i thought you had a funny smeell about ya friday night:) hey you need a avatar there guy and tell the rest of where ya from!!!! play by the rules even the un written ones:D he really is a nice guy he likes me sometimes:rofl:

bad charma

"""I'm steamed. Hacked. Bummed. Irritated. Upset. Livid. And a whole slew of other words that the CoC won't allow me to say. """" well vaughn has started somethig i am afraid,,, and i seem to be the latest victum
was spraying a hutch that i wanted to day veiw on monday and deliver on sept 14th but wont happen now,,,, it is now down to one door the other one fell of the hanger while in the spray booth and broke in 6 places all on its own:eek::eek: concrete and a 6 panel glass door dont mix... this wknd SUCKS and no i dont feel better NOW had alot time in this and was almost outa here but now i get to start over

Ouch!

was spraying a hutch that i wanted to day veiw on monday and deliver on sept 14th but wont happen now,,,, it is now down to one door the other one fell of the hanger while in the spray booth and broke in 6 places all on its own:eek::eek: concrete and a 6 panel glass door dont mix... this wknd SUCKS and no i dont feel better NOW had alot time in this and was almost outa here but now i get to start over

I can't think of anything to say to make it better, because I don't think the words exist. I hope the next door goes together faster and better. You have better anger management than me. I would be still walking around the property kicking trees.