Bread board end attachement

Jeff Horton

What is the proper method(s) for attaching bread board ends? Cherry about 24" wide top.

I have read glue the center and then drive dowels in the near the ends with slightly oversized hole in the tongue.

Last edited:
What is the proper method(s) for attaching bread board ends? Cherry about 24" wide top.

I have read glue the center and then drive dowels in the near the ends with slightly oversized hole in the tongue.
This is the way I've done it. The current issue of Wood magazine has a step by step picture tutorial on BB ends.

I do this if I am using end plugs for decoration (the screw part, not necessarily the end cap):

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

[size=+1]Depends...

If you're building a piece of furniture that'll sit against a wall (dresser, china cabinet, etc.) then you might want to consider gluing the very front, and 'loose dowelling' (a slot in the tongue) the center and back. That way, the front edge will always be even,

If it's a table or other piece that will sit with all edges exposed, then your method of center glue/pin and loose dowels at each end is the way to go.[/size]