Jointer

randy street

It's time to get a decent jointer, I have a little 4" Grizzly that's to small to do anything. Does anybody have any experience with either of these?

Ridgid 6" JP0610

Ridgid_JP0610_Jointer.jpg

Jet 6" JJ-6OS

Jet_JJ60S_Jointer.jpg

They are both similar in price, just below $400. I would like an 8" but they are currently a little out of what I have to spend.

Thanks

Randy

Randy,

I don't have either of these but I do have the enclosed base long bed version of the 6" Jet jointer. It has the self-indexing blades which are a god-send. I guess this may make it to much of an apple to orange comparison but mine is easy to use and produces a good surface. Mine looks to have the same adjustment handles under the beds which seems to make it easier to dial in.

Hope this helps.

Hi Randy,
I have the Ridgid and have used it alot in the 3 yrs I've had it. It is a decent jointer, easy assembly, true tables. I like that it has handwheels for both infeed and outfeed and the center mounted fence it also a plus. I've probably run 6 or 8k bf across it and have just the other day changed out the original knives ( I have honed them a couple times though). I picked up Freud blades on Amazon for $8/set awhile back ( got 2 sets). I think this is a good jointer for the money, just as good as a Jet or Delta. This has gotten good reviews on this and other forums. I say go for it, I'm glad I did.

John

Editted for dust collection: Better than an open based machine! I have mine hooked to a HFDC

Thanks guys, I'm thinking the Ridgid is they way to go. Plus it will match my table saw and planer. Orange isn't my favorite color but its starting to grow on me.:D

Regards,

Randy

I'd take the Ridgid over that particular Jet model, though both should serve you well. The full enclosure 1hp Jet was on sale in the spring for $400, as was the Rikon. Griz and Sunhill should also have models in that price range that are worth a look.

I have the Ridgid also and it has been a great machine for my skills and small shop. Its no production machine but works fine for my 7-8 projects a year. I would highly recommend it.

Mark has the Ridgid planer, and it's on my 'wish list', though I think I have an older model c'man which I can get for a lot less money... when I have the money together... (neat trick piling that stuff up, isn't it?)

Ralph, howdy neighbor!:wave:

I have the Ridgid JP610 too. I have had it for several years and have been happy with it. I just recently got a great deal on a HTC mobile base, that it now resides on.

One thing, is that most Home Depots do not carry replacement jointer knives for it. They can special order them for you, if you go to the Pro/Contractor Desk. I find this baffling, as they carry the replacement knives for the Ridgid thickness planer. :huh: The part number for the knives is JE080008.

If you stop and thing, I have never heard anyone that disliked the jointer they had. I have hear some minor complaints but I don't think I have ran into anyone that really disliked a jointer.

Jointers are very basic machines. If the table are parallel and motor is not underpowered, the only things left are how easy are they to adjust the fence and table heights?? I think you will find any jointer will work just fine and you will be happy with it. I suspect you hear so much goo about the Rigid because so many people have it. If Grizzly or Jet were sold at the Borgs, I suspect you would hear just as much good about them.

I have the Ridgid JP610 too. I have had it for several years and have been happy with it. I just recently got a great deal on a HTC mobile base, that it now resides on.

One thing, is that most Home Depots do not carry replacement jointer knives for it. They can special order them for you, if you go to the Pro/Contractor Desk. I find this baffling, as they carry the replacement knives for the Ridgid thickness planer. :huh: The part number for the knives is JE080008.

Home Depot in my area used to have them on the shelf but they closed them out. I got 4 sets for $6.00 a set which worked out very nicely for me.
Jeff is right. I rarely hear of people who don't like their jointers. I prefer hand wheels over levers but other than that there is little to dislike.

If you have a Menards store close, the 6" open stand jointer has been sold lately for $369 if that helps make up your mind. I owned teh 6" open stand model and sold it for $300 when I bought my 12" Delta. The Jet did a GREAT job while I owned it and I personally would not pay any more than that for a 6" jointer.