momentous occasion...

Ned Bulken

firstturningshavings.jpg

can you identify that?

you guessed it... first shavings in the shop from the spinny thing!
latheface.jpg

Ned,
Carefully scoop those shavings up and put them in a jar - put the jar in a special place. Maybe they'll have baby shavings like the last two dollars at the Bailey Building & Loan Association!:D

Good to see!

Wes

Woooooo Hooooooo! Just don't fall into the same hole Ken F. did with his mini before his shop was finished....what I'm trying to say is.....

STOP what your doing and finish the stinking shop already! :rofl::D:p

Woooooo Hooooooo! Just don't fall into the same hole Ken F. did with his mini before his shop was finished....what I'm trying to say is.....

STOP what your doing and finish the stinking shop already! :rofl::D:p

DITTO! :D

Once you get sucked down into that vortex it is really hard to get out............ trust me! :eek:

Well guys,
That was truly just a test run. I can't let the lathe get in the way of the shop completion, I've got a firm date to clear my storage unit, and I've got a ton of juggling to do before I'm done.
I also need to get my turning tools tuned up, and/or pick up a bowl gouge, I only have two spindle gouges in this set at the shop, which I believe are just HF HSS tools.
toolz.jpg

batwings.jpg
that's how both of the gouges were sharpened, and while they cut, I was very aware of those points out there just waiting to catch.

I do have another set of tools, carbon steel ones which are over at Mark's shop, that set has a bowl gouge, so I guess I'll be going to Oneida at some point.

I also got my bandsaw up from the storage unit, and man that sucker is Heavy. Sean whom I indirectly bought the saw from built a Massive base for it out of MDF.
bandsaw.jpg

I got that up and running as well last night, and it works like a charm. I will need to pick up a couple more blades, time for a call to Suffolk, but that will have to wait for another paycheck.

another new tool in the shop is this generic little grinder, price was perfect: Free
grinder.jpg

I need to get a finer grit wheel to replace that wire wheel, but it works just fine.

YeeHa !!

Lathe, bandsaw, and grinder INSIDE the shop !:thumb: You might as well just pile the rest of your tools in a corner because the turning bug has BITTEN !!!:rofl:

If that grinder is a 6", you would be wise to just use as a grinder and save yer pennies for something else to sharpen with.
wish I had the $90 available for the woodcraft slow speed, but need wiring and insulation first.
Ned,
Congrats hear that sucking sound that's your wallet saying goodbye to any money you might have.:D
Oh yeah, I know... my shopping list is growing... but not until I get moved in and the shop wired. I'll live with the two sets of chisels and faceplate. Once I get some extra cash I've got a wishlist...

just hope it doesn't rain on him!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumb:

:thumb: there Ned!!! Hope you have a life jacket on, you have officially fallen in!

Yup, and yet, tonight i cleaned up the chips, and put the lathe stuff on the bottom shelf of a bench. Too much stuff to do to finish the shop. Including building a lathe stand.

Ned,
Definitely check out Doug Thompson's tools you can'y get beter for the money.
Also check out Craig's CI1 easy rougher it's sweet to use. Vaughn & Stu use them.