Mahogany Vase

Mark Pruitt

Here is a recently completed vase, approx. 3.25 x 6.5. Finished with DO then poly, and buffed.
DSC_0303edit2.jpg

DSC_0302edit2.jpg

Comments welcome.

Mark I must say that is a beauty. I really like the wood and form. How long did you wait to apply the poly? Was it spray or wipe on? This will be my first time using something over oil. Was just curious.

Very nice. Yessir, looking good! :thumb:

Given the measurements, the vase seems to be displaying right at full-size on my laptop monitor. Gives me a better feel for it. :)

How long did you wait to apply the poly? Was it spray or wipe on? This will be my first time using something over oil. Was just curious.
Bernie, I allowed the DO to dry for at least the prescribed 72 hours, possibly longer...I don't recall exactly. It took a few coats of poly before I got the evenness of finish you see in the pics. If you've not used poly (or any other reactive finish) over DO or BLO before, the only important concern is that you allow the oil to dry for the prescribed time first. DO says 72 hours on the can; BLO generally takes longer it seems to me.

One question which you didn't ask but I'll offer this unsolicited, is how long to let the final coat of poly set before buffing. It is crucial that the poly (or any other reactive finish) cure thoroughly; I let it set for at least a month before buffing.

Nice looking HF. I bet that wood really has some depth of grain when you turn it in the light!!! Beautiful piece.
Nathan, it does indeed have a chatoyance to it that you would expect of mahogany. It was virtually impossible to capture that with a still shot.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Mark - it is amazing how some of the simplest of forms - when done right - look the best. Congrats on a wonderful vase! Great form and finish and I love the rich color! Very nice work!