never hit backspace

If you had Hit "Control and Z" and it should right them, it should have undone the delete. That is the undo command.
Ditto. Ctrl-Z is your friend. Frank, I'm betting that somehow you had accidentally selected all the text in your post. Or, you may have been accidentally pressing the Alt key at the same time you hit the backspace. (That'll remove a bunch of text at once, too.) Otherwise, the backspace would have only removed a single character.

Aren't these computers great labor-saving devices? :rolleyes:

a couple more useful shortcut keys:

Ctrl-C -- copy
Ctrl-V -- paste
Ctrl-A -- select all
Ctrl-Z -- un-screw-up

Mike
And Ctrl-Y, which will reverse a Ctrl-Z. I guess you could call it a re-screw-up. :D It does come in handy from time to time.

I cannot believe you guys have been holding out so long!!!!!!:rolleyes: This is some really valuable stuff, especially to an illiterate computer woodworker:huh:. Better late than never. Thanks!:wave:
Shaz :)
WHAT ELSE DO YOU FOLKS HAVE UP YOUR SLEEVES???:eek::rofl:

I cannot believe you guys have been holding out so long!!!!!!:rolleyes: This is some really valuable stuff, especially to an illiterate computer woodworker:huh:. Better late than never. Thanks!:wave:
Shaz :)
WHAT ELSE DO YOU FOLKS HAVE UP YOUR SLEEVES???:eek::rofl:

Ctrl-F -- Find
Ctrl-X -- Cut
Ctrl-B -- Bold
Ctrl-I -- Italic
Ctrl-U -- Underline

On Numeric kepad:

Alt + 0176 = Degree (°)
Alt + 0178 = Squared (²)
Alt + 0179 = Cubed (³)
Alt + 0188 = one quarter (¼)
Alt + 0189 = one half (½)
Alt + 0190 = three quarters (¾)
Alt + 0162 = cents (¢)
Alt + 0163 = British Pound (£)
Alt + 0165 = Japanese Yen (¥)
Alt + 0247 = division symbol (÷)

Okay?

Love it. :D
I knew about the copy/paste thingy. But, the 'Z' is going to help.
BTW, wasn't Windows supposed to eliminate keystroke controls? :rolleyes:

Not really Frank. Good design software design should give a variety of ways to achieve the same end. Keystrokes are on but you can also undo by right clicking in the text box and selecting "undo" from the context menu. No keystrokes required.

Here are a few for die-hard keyboarders:

Code:
  Home         -- Go to the beginning of the line you're typing (or to the
                   top of the web page you're viewing).
  End          -- Go to the end of the line you're typing (or to the bottom 
                  of the web page you're viewing).
  Ctrl-Home    -- Go to the very beginning of the post (or document) you're
                  typing
  Ctrl-End     -- Go to the very end of the post (or document) you're typing
  Ctrl-[Arrow] -- Move left or right one word at a time in a post (or
                  document) you're editing.

For the really dexterous among you, holding down Shift as you use other "movement" keys will select the traversed text for cutting or copying. For example,

Code:
  Shift-Ctrl-Home  -- Select all text (etc) from your current position to
                      the very top of the post/document/whatever.
  Shift-DownArrow  -- Select from where you are to the same position on the
                      next line down
  Shift-PgDn       -- Select one page worth (or one screen worth) of text
                      (etc) downward
  Shift-Ctrl-Right -- Select up to the next word boundary on the right

I write and edit email and programming code all day long, so these kinds of keyboard shortcuts make a big difference in my little world. :wave:

Frank, did the text in your post disappear or did you go back to the previous page? Backspace in Firefox & IE takes you back to the previous page unless you are within a textbox. If that is what happened, hitting the forward button would've taken you back(forward) to the post page.

...Good design software design should give a variety of ways to achieve the same end. Keystrokes are on but you can also undo by right clicking in the text box and selecting "undo" from the context menu. No keystrokes required.
The keystroke commands are now also required in order for software achieve "Section 508" compliance. Here's a brief description, taken from www.section508.gov:

The purpose of this part is to implement section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. 794d). Section 508 requires that when Federal agencies develop, procure, maintain, or use electronic and information technology, Federal employees with disabilities have access to and use of information and data that is comparable to the access and use by Federal employees who are not individuals with disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed on the agency. Section 508 also requires that individuals with disabilities, who are members of the public seeking information or services from a Federal agency, have access to and use of information and data that is comparable to that provided to the public who are not individuals with disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed on the agency.
The keystroke commands are used by people who cannot use a mouse, including those who rely on voice recognition software

If my memory serves me correctly, third-party software applications must comply with Section 508 in order to get Windows "Logo Certification". (The "Designed for Windows Vista" or similar taglines you see on product packages.)

I deal with Section 508 stuff at work, since we sell the software we develop to various governmental agencies.

BTW Jim, thanks for the numeric keypad list. I've got most of those on Post-It notes scattered on two different desks. I think I'll just print your list to make them easier to find.

Frank, did the text in your post disappear or did you go back to the previous page? Backspace in Firefox & IE takes you back to the previous page unless you are within a textbox. If that is what happened, hitting the forward button would've taken you back(forward) to the post page.

Previous page. Nuttin' there when I forward paged. Gone into the black hole of cyberspace.