electrical fan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry merlau

if you have a fan that is single speed, and is made for exhausting fumes. if you were to put a reostat on it to slow the speed down is that going to harm the motor? and what type of motor could i do that to safely?

I'm no expert but I believe you are looking for a motor that has brushes like your drill or router, not like your bench grinder.

No expert but you need to know the amperage/votage of the fan motor and find a fan control for that amperage and voltage. Maybe more inline with a whole house fan control but hard to tell until you know the amp/voltage.

Hopes this helps.

Mark

clarification!!

ok i have been told by enuff folk that slowing a fand own with reostate isnt a good idea with what i am using so now the next question... this is going in a finish room which already has pressured air coming in room size is
12 x 16 x10ft high.. how many cfms should i have in the fan? the presureized air is coming from a furnace fan. dont know the cfm of it???

Larry...

I don't know whether or not this would work for you...you're finishing room is much larger than mine. I don't have a gzinta fan, just a gzouta. I sealed the room pretty well and framed for a furnace filter in one wall. The fan will pull the door closed the last inch or so, and a thread tied to the filter stands straight out. It does a pretty good job of pulling fresh air through which is filtered for dust control. Eliminates the problem of balancing fan throughput.

Cheers.

well i was told that!!

presureizing the room was the best way to push put the bad fumes:huh::dunno: so that was what i did but i didnt have large enough out hole,,, been just opening the window but that lets out the bad stuff to high.. i want it to go out low where it settles first. i found a fan that is around 2000cfm so i should be in the right direction now thanks for the replies folk:thumb:

Last edited:
Heya Larry...

My finishing room is the exact same size as yours...and you've seen, heard, and felt the fan I have in the wall. You might think it's overkill, but it moves a flat 3,000 CFM when I turn it on. All I do is open two of the windows in the finishing room, turn on the fan and close the door.

It's almost impossible to tell in the main shop that I've been spraying lacquer...when I bother to use the fan, that is...:doh:

I know you say your room is 'pressurized', and that tiny little fan you have won't push much air, but you do have to remember about 'make-up air'. That's where my open windows come in.

Hope your little fan does what you hope...and if not, hope you 'enjoy' the lacquer buzz...:rofl:

- Marty -

Status
Not open for further replies.