G&G Inspired Nitestands

glenn bradley

I have mentioned these here and there in other posts. I have only recently gotten a couple of days to give them some serious effort. Feels good to work in the shop instead of in my head ;-)

I am using mitered and pegged tenons. I thought to use the coping sled to make quick work of the tenons but had already cut the shoulders so . . . no backer board. I put a small chisel tap on the line at the exit point:

NS-Cope-Sled-M-T-1.jpg

Tenons mitered fine:

NS-Cope-Sled-Mitered-Tenons.jpg

This is the general appearance from the rear (no drawer yet) without the lower shelf. My design includes the shown Blacker House leg details and pegged, emphasized-finger-joint drawers:

NS-No-Lower-Shelf.jpg

The breadboard top is typical G&G. Material is ash with ebony for the plugs. I've got a reasonable number of shots about the build that I'll post after I get past removing milling marks and such. Still pondering the finish.

Thanks Glenn.

I must admit that I'm also a fan G&G and this is thanks to you ( or you to blame?:D)

The first time I knew abouth them was due to one of your posts ( your box remember?) then I looked for information and I became a G&G enthusiast.

I see the rebates on the legs, have you followed the instructions given in Darrel Peart's Book " G&G Design elements fo the workshop?

I look forward to see that table finished. Please keep posting!:thumb:

Toni,

There is so much to enjoy about G&G's work. The leg detail is right off G&G's Blacker House chairs and Darrel does give examples of them (and a lot of other nice details too). These two detail shots from the Gamble and Blacker Houses always get me:

Attachments

• GnG Detail 2.jpg
    GnG Detail 2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 133
  • GnG-Detail-1.jpg
    GnG-Detail-1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I see the rebates on the legs

I have some time today to take the machined legs to the first stage of shaping. Four sides done, 28 to go . . . Maybe I'll actually finish these as a Christmas present to myself ;-)

Attachments

• Leg-mach-to-shaped-002.jpg
    Leg-mach-to-shaped-002.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 95
Yeah, slight adjustments as these are table legs. Very quick to build and brings out the rough shape easily, just like it is supposed to . . . . hey, I don't have a shot of that.

Just a sec . . . .

Here you go . . . Mine is pocket-holed as I had sold my biscuit joiner and not built my little Colt biscuit jig yet when I made this:

Blacker-Jig.jpg

Just for grins, here's the "sanding station". I have a footswitch hooked to the vac for cleanup between steps. My ambient cleaner is right overhead. The little rubber sanding shapes come in handy for this sort of thing:

Sanding-Station.jpg

Last edited:
Glenn,

Wow. These are looking good. I really like the G & G styling, too. The second of the two pictures you posted showing the multiple pieces strapped and wedged is just awesome stuff! I know you've said your not sure how you'll finish them. When I made my wife a similar sized table out of Walnut, I used multiple coats of Tung oil followed by some Black Bison past wax. It wasn't expected to see really hard service and makes people just want to touch the surface. While I'm not up on the norm for G&G stuff, it always looks like I'd have to feel the softened edges if I saw it in person. I've not seen the book that's been referenced, but I just may have to check it out.

Look forward to updates and your finished product.

Regards,

I have some time today to take the machined legs to the first stage of shaping. Four sides done, 28 to go . . . Maybe I'll actually finish these as a Christmas present to myself ;-)

Those look grat Glenn!, and once you have the jig the rest is just devoting time to it. 28 of those may take a while but... eventually they'll look great and you'll be really satisfyied! kEEP UP WITH THE GOOD JOB!!

Last edited:
Funny, this doesn't look that different than the dry fit shot above, but so much has happened. The edges are all rounded, the tenons are all fit, the peg holes are all chiseled out, the sides are glued up and I'm on a roll. After getting delayed to the point where I almost didn't care if I ever finished them, progress is being made :thumb:.

2nd-set-of-sides-and-dry-fi.jpg

Tomorrow night I should be able to make the drawer guides and possibly finish the leg-apron-lower-shelf glue up. Then it's on to the ebony work, build and fit the drawers, finish the top assembly, consider drawer knob designs and . . . hey, wait a minute; . . . I'm no where near done :rofl:. I need to start the 'finish sample' board too. I'm leaning toward a BLO, Naphtha, Varnish mix that I have been playing with. I better hurry before that brutal SoCal winter kicks in. It was below 80 a couple days last week! Brrrr.

Last edited:
Glenn,

Those tables are turning out VERY well! Something like them has been on my to-do list (a very long list) for some time. Right now I'm completing them vicariously.... hope you don't mind.:eek::rofl:

Hey, this staying home from work thing is pretty nice . . . . gotta go back tomorrow, break's over.

Using the lower stretcher guide holes as a . . . well, guide; I drill the peg holes that will hold the lower shelf. The square top portion of the holes will have typical G&G pillowed square pegs in them.

Glue-Up-2-002.jpg

The tops are just setting on the leg assemblies (and not too straight at that). The drawer from the proto-type (made out of milled down pallets from LOML's work) sets between. I have the drawer parts cut and the cloud lifts shaped on the fronts. Time for the finger joints . . . .

Glue-Up-2-005.jpg

I'm still getting used to the new camera so the color is weird. It's humbling when your camera is smarter than you are ;-) The odd color on the front of the proto-drawer fingers is where I wiped it with some leftover shellac from another effort.

Last edited: