G&G Inspired Nitestands

In my ongoing attempt to have the longest thread on the forum . . . I know, I know; Ned's shop will always win out.

I finally decided on a pull style. I prefer to work some ebony parts once they are built in to the piece. This (for me) avoids a bolted-on look that we fat-fingered folk have a knack for.

A problem can be the transfer of dark wood dust onto the unfinished lighter wood, in this case ash, that is a pain to remove. So just to help someone from having to figure this out through the DAMHIKT moment I had awhile back. I do this:

pulls-001.jpg

The inlay in this case is a fat 1/32" proud of the pull face. After sanding and shaping, I use a blow gun to remove the dust and then I remove the tape. This let's me shape and burnish the ebony without boo-boo's.

Last edited:
I do not know if it will be the longest thread on the forum but I can't stop my mouth watering and turning green of envy when I see your pieces Glenn.

Thanks a lot for being so thorough in your posts, maybe you should consider writing a book.:thumb::thumb:

Finished

I was cleaning out my picture folder and realized I had never posted these things with the finish on. My usual photographic skill is evident as always :)

Attachments

• done1-005.jpg
    done1-005.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 34
  • done-007.jpg
    done-007.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 30
  • done-008.jpg
    done-008.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 68
  • done-1.jpg
    done-1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
So Glenn, you finished the long time ago and didn't tell us? naughty, naughty boy.

You had me wondering all this time, I was even thinking about pm you and ask abou them.

Those are really gorgeus, and it looks as if you had stolen them from the Blacker house.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

BTW the radio set looks a bit out of place:rofl:

As I learned to say in that "John" Carnegie course, "Absolutely Fantastic".:thumb::thumb::thumb: Glad you discovered the pics and remembered to share them with us. I really like the color and the way the finish came out.

Really outstanding, glenn.:thumb: I hope to be able to build some like yours one day. Do you have any plans for additional pieces? Larger pieces like a hutch or buffet?

Thanks for posting.

Do you have any plans for additional pieces?

Thanks everyone. These are the first two pieces of a bedroom set. I hope to avoid the on-again, off-again construction pace that these poor fellas went through. That way I'll have a highboy and a lowboy to use while I'm still young (relatively speaking). LOML is after my current coffee table for her house so I may have to build a replacement before the other bedroom stuff ;).

Oh yeah, Sketchup mockup to actual pieces:

Attachments

• SU-Compare-002-SU.jpg
    SU-Compare-002-SU.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 12
  • SU-Compare-002.jpg
    SU-Compare-002.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 32