Vase, species uncertain

Mark Pruitt

Here is another piece that was completed recently. I am uncertain as to the species. It turned very easily with minimal tearout. I initially rough turned it and DNA'd it, finish turned it after a few weeks. Finished with DO & poly, Beall buffed. Approx. 5 x 9.
Comments welcome.
DSC_0314edit2.jpg

DSC_0320edit2.jpg

...and just in case anyone might recognize the species from seeing it with bark still intact, here is a shot taken the day I brought the stuff home.
woodhaulsep07a-1.jpg

Looks good. The bark is nearly a dead ringer for chestnut oak around VA, but the wood is obviously nothing like oak.....it almost looks like honey locust, but the edge of the rings isn't defined enough, and the bark is nothing like locust. Looks good, whatever it is.

I'm pretty sure it's either Yellow Dunnowood or Canary Yagotme. Either way, you found a nice vase hiding inside. :D

Thanks all.

At first I thought, elm--nahh; but then I googled this:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ages?q=elm&start=140&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N

and found a couple images that look very close to what I have. Maybe that's what it is.

Someone had told me he thought it was Chestnut Oak, but all he had to go on was the bark, and while the bark looks similar to CO, it's a little more coarse than the CO images I googled.

I guess that Dunnowood it is, but I was hoping that if someone snatches this at my booth next week I could tell 'em something more accurate.:rolleyes:

Last edited: