slow again today

Yep, I do find the site very slow at times. I just did a speed check on my cable connection. I have 3054 kbps download speed, and 272 kbps upload speed. The site is doing pretty good today, but at times, it gets crawling slow. Not a complaint, just an observation.......and not a biggie to me.......most of the time! ;)

Well, I've not had any trouble today at all, only a few times in the past has the site been a bit slow, but I will say, it has yet to be down, or completely off the grid due to a storm, a cut cable, or such (fingers crossed, knock on wood) and by using a large massive server farm like 1and1, we are up and running for a few hundred bucks, not bad I'd say.

Each to his own, for now, 1and1 is serving us well.

Cheers! :thumb:

Well it was slow yesterday, but it's zipping along as fast as that old Chevelle of mine today. Course I suspected that since Stu was fast yesterday and he is a day ahead of us. Hope it's fast for you today Stu, so we'll know what to expect tomorrow,:D

OK on this side of the pond.

I have to say that I have never had a speed problem and also do not now get timeout failures on pictures which has been my experience sometimes elsewhere.

1and1 have hosted my commercial site for 5 years+ without any problems. The truth is that we have yet to stretch the capacity of the server and will not begin to until we have a lot more members active at any on time. The decision to use shared facilities is in my book a decision based on a desire to operate at relatively low cost with relatively high uptime. Keeping the cost low mitigates against having to agonise over fundraising and so on. Only time will tell whether the speed cost, if any, is too high. If it is we can look for alternatives.

(ps - I have also never yet waited thirty seconds only to be served a blank page, which can get real frustrating)

It's crawling today and I have gotten time outs in the past but not in a while. It's odd how people like Stu in Japan and now Ian across the pond are not seeing these like many of us are. I am wondering if we are on a server with a busy web site that is using up the resources and that is what is slowing it down. Perhaps the time differences with you guys is why you don't see it. There have been enough people complain about this that I think someone needs to talk to 1and1 (??) and see what they say. Maybe ask them to move the site to another server? It's pretty obvious it is not just me anymore experiencing this, so there is something going on.

I am cruising at light speed over here. Have experienced some slow reaction time as I go back and forth between threads but I figure it is just trying to keep up with me. Also, I may be "breaking" some thread connections by using the "back" button instead of the directory links.