Unadorned Maple Bowl

Very simple maple bowl that was supposed to have been the subject of an experimental dye job using the same crimson red dye as I had on used on a couple of hollow forms. Once the bowl had been turned and sanded I went to mix up the dye and found I didn’t have any DNA! Duh! :eek:

Maple bowl, 9 ¼” diameter x 3 ½” high x ¼” thick, sanded to 320 and so far only a couple of coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly.

Unadorned Maple V1.JPG Unadorned Maple V2.JPG Unadorned Maple V3.JPG

As always, your suggestions, comments and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Ahhh ... a perfect size for Jethro Clampett's corn flakes or Papa Bear's porridge. :D

Nice. I like it. Clean lines, smooth surface, neat-o bevel. :thumb:

PS - You may be doing this already, but try moving your camera back and zooming in. That might help with the depth-of-focus.

Thanks for the kind words Kerry! You are right about the depth of field and although I do zoom in on the subject there are times (this being one of them) where no matter what I do or where I position the camera all I get is a soft focus. Frustrating would be the operative word! But - you are correct and I will work a little harder with the focus issues!

Nice bowl, Steve. I like how the base appears to just 'hover' on the surface. If I had to give one critique, it would be that the rim seems to flare out a tad too touch for my liking.

Great looking bowl once again. No DNA?! :eek:

I'm guessing another bowl will turn up with a blushing red hue to it very soon.

Jeff - you guessed it! Got a maple bowl sitting in front of a fan at this very moment trying to get it to dry out a little! First time trying the dye on maple and it doesn't like to play nice! The 2 HFs that I had dyed were both white birch and took the dye great. The maple took 4 coats (all uneven) and then warped into a football shape! It is slowly returning to normal as it dries out! Always something!