Lidded Candy Bowl

Maple bowl with Plexiglas lid and curly maple finial. Overall dimensions are 7 ¾” high x 7 ¾” diameter, sanded to 400 and has several coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly applied.

Lidded Candy V1.JPG Lidded Candy V2.JPG Lidded Candy V3.JPG Lidded Candy V4.JPG

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Thanks for the kind words!

Ned - I had some 3/8" Plexiglass left over from an old project and just cut out what I needed and turned to shape. That was my first experience turning plexi and does it ever make the stringy stuff! Nice thing is that the Bealle buffing system removes all of the small scratches and gives it a nice 'glass' edge.

Steve,

Another super piece. I like the form and the plexi works great for this application. Also, love the curly maple finial.

I really like the bowl and the finial, but I'm still ponderin' the lid. I think what catches my attention is that it's flat, whereas I think that bowl would look very nice with a domed lid. The novelty of the clear lid will probably entice a buyer to snatch it up, though. :thumb:

Steve,
I love the bowl but honestly I think you could turn a pewter lid that would make this peice look great. I'm just not to fond of putting plexi on such a nice bowl.

Vaughn - I know what you mean about being flat. I thought about gluing 2 pieces together and then hollowing it out to form more of a dome - something closer to the bowl's curve. But - this being my first time turning plexiglass I wasn't sure it could be done. Maybe next time I will spend a little more time and turn something that has a little more 'flow' to it!