#1 bowl

Frank Fusco

As most here know, the bowl gouge has been a real nemesis for me. Using it has been a constant 'touch and catch'. I even got lessons from a friend and those didn't help much. The other day, after playing with my new Wolverine jig and sharpening everything in sight, I decided to try out my bowl gouges (again). :eek: I had a, sorta, started bowl already mounted on a faceplate. This was my practice piece when my friend gave lessons. I had it mounted on an aluminum plate with hot glue. Friend did not trust the glue and ran some long screws up the bottom. I attacked the thing with my big bowl gouge and miraculously wood shavings flew like crazy and I used it like I had been doing this my whole, long, life. Don't know of it was coincidence, but I was hearing Herald Angels singing at the same time I was doing this. :huh: ;) I knew I wasn't going to get the shape I originally planned because of the screws so I shaped best I could, removed the screws and parted off. But, then I had a very thick bottom. And, I just do not care for thick bottoms at all. So, I chucked it up again, this time using the 'giant' faceplate for my new Barracuda 4 chuck. Did some more shaping and just removed excess bottom from the bottom but leaving a pedestal. The wood is very punky, imported exotic Dunno Wood from California, compliments of Vaughn. It contained several inclusions and quite a few dried up buggies. Soaked up sanding sealer like crazy and even more lacquer. As can be seen, I still need to work on the finish. With finish the work showed some tool rings and tear-outs. I just wasn't able to eliminate completely the tear-out on this wood. But, it is a practice piece. Since, so far, I have only made some 'sorta' hollow vases and never a bowl, I'll call this bowl #1 which will save it from the fireplace.

Attachments

• bowl 2.jpg
    bowl 2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 32
  • bowl 4.jpg
    bowl 4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 19
  • bowl 3.jpg
    bowl 3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 24
  • bowl 5.jpg
    bowl 5.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 25
  • bowl 1.jpg
    bowl 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 38
Woo-hoo! Glad to see the angels sang and you got some results from the bowl gouge. :thumb: They do get easier as you use them more.

The bowl came out looking good for a first. I know all too well how tough it is to avoid tearout on that punky wood. (It's alder, BTW.) Now you're ready to find some green wood and really have fun with that bowl gouge. :D

Congrats Frank! :thumb: The first of many to come I hope. Vaughn is right, get some green maple, walnut, or heck anything freshly cut and then you'll really see the curlies fly!

Congrats Frank! :thumb: The first of many to come I hope. Vaughn is right, get some green maple, walnut, or heck anything freshly cut and then you'll really see the curlies fly!

Dunno about the green. I have a couple tons, literally, of maple, walnut, Osage Orange on hand, plus a bunch of other stuff like mulberry. And, there are two downed trees waiting for my chain saw, a big walnut and a persimmon. I think I'll have to get my experience with dry wood.

Frank, I realize you're very well stocked on dry wood, but don't rule out the possibility of finding a bit of free wet stuff. If for no other reason, it'll be a bit more satisfying (and forgiving) learning experience with your bowl gouge.

Frank,

Way to go. :thumb: Sure is a lot more fun when that dang tool finally decides to play nice. :D I know cause I had a similar experience until one of my buds had me over to get some hands-on training. We were playing around with some wet oak, and it was so much easier to handle than the dry stuff.

Look forward to your future postings.

Regards,

Frank, I realize you're very well stocked on dry wood, but don't rule out the possibility of finding a bit of free wet stuff. If for no other reason, it'll be a bit more satisfying (and forgiving) learning experience with your bowl gouge.

Take yer pick. I am stubborn/stupid/exuberant/whatever. :rolleyes:
But, I have a chunk of mulberry, at least, ten years old and dry that is begging me to turn into something. It's about 13" in diameter and 9" thick. Weighs about 30 pounds. It is next project even though I have folks waiting for some pens I want to tackle this.
Haven't decided if I'll do convention way bowls are done. e.g. cut tennon, reverse, hollow, etc. Or use a faceplate on bottom and do almost whole thing that way, reversing only for final cuts.

Attachments

• mulberry.jpg
    mulberry.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 14
Frank.

While that is a nice shape, it's not a good shape for a beginner bowl turner.

Start with the standard convex curve and when you are comfortable doing that then do a concave curve.

Also, start with green wood, its allot easier. You'll find that your gouge will like you all the more.

Isn't it great when you get that Aha! moment? I went through the same trials and tribulations with a bowl gouge and seemingly "got it" overnight, too.

I second what everyone said about green wood. As Bill G said, that is "fun turning to the max!"

I'll also warn you about that 10 year old chunk of Mulberry. I find Mulberry rather difficult to turn and a ten year old dry blank will be a challenge. Just don't want you to think that your skills have regressed when you start on it.

Be sure and show us the result.