Howzabout Woodtek?

Frank Fusco

I got my new Woodworkers Supply catalog the other day and was perusing the big tools. Interesting that I had never noticed their Woodtek line of machines. Maybe it's because I have become inured to ads of so many other makes that claim to be the best. However, I don't recall any discussion or mention here of the Woodtek lathe. It's a strange looking critter and mighty pricey. In one configuration, it has two beds with the headstock in the center. (would that make it a 'centerstock'? :rolleyes: ) Prices run from about $6,000.00 to $8,000.00. I have trouble getting my mind around a lathe being worth that much. Enneybody here have experience with one of these or comments in their quality or worth?

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=961-983&search=Woodtek Lathes

Frank, since LOML works for Woodworker's Supply, I have some knowledge about the #1 lathe. It was developed by a couple of turners from here in the Albuquerque area, and it is a MONSTER!! WWS takes it to all of the big shows - AWFS and IWF - and they also take logs to demo the lathe. It usually takes four hefty men to lift and mount the log. As you can imagine, it turns at quite slow speeds for something that large. The headstock is fixed, but one can add extra beds for longer turnings. It's used a lot for turning columns in one piece. I have turned (briefly) on it, and I can tell you that it is very quiet, as advertised. I've seen it used to turn everything from pens to huge logs. For those who are really serious about turning, it's the ultimate lathe. Bud Latvan and Kevin ??, who do the demos at shows, impress the crowd by throwing 20' ribbons from it. It will make a huge pile of curlies in about 10 minutes--at AWFS in Las Vegas, we were filling a 55-gallon drum with curlies about every half hour.

Hubby and I toyed with the idea of getting the first model of this lathe, which is sitting in the warehouse and stripped of most of the electronics, and restoring it. But we would have had to build an addition onto our shop to hold it--got shot down by the city for easement issues--and decided that we weren't THAT serious about turning anyway.

Frank, that was my first lathe - a 6-speed Woodtek Mini. I like it, and still use it, but I've "graduated" to a Steel City VS mini that I'm using more now. Speed changes are always easier.

The Woodtek is very solid and well-made - I used it in Las Vegas sitting on a bench, not even bolted down, and it didn't move unless I wanted to move it. It is cast iron and very heavy. The main thing I don't like is that changing speeds is difficult for me - the openings to access the belt are small and I have large hands. I also had trouble with the location of the on-off switch; sometimes when I was standing close to the lathe, I'd inadvertently hit the switch with my hip and turn it off!

We have several Woodtek machines in our shop and they are all very well-made and well-used, and haven't given us any trouble at all. They are a very viable and cost-conscious alternative to some of the "bigger" names.

As far as comparing the Woodtek mini to others, I have no experience with Grizzly, but the local turning club uses Jets in their demo booth at the State Fair - they blew out both of them last year during the fair - burned out one motor and blew out the headstock bearings in the other one. They aren't turning continuously either. I turned about 30 pens in one day on my little Woodtek and it never faltered the first time.

Steel City introduced their new "big" lathe at IWF - with a granite bed!!! David says it's really nice looking and is probably going to be a big seller for them.

Last edited:
Steel City introduced their new "big" lathe at IWF - with a granite bed!!! David says it's really nice looking and is probably going to be a big seller for them.

Don't want to hijack your thread Frank, but Nancy do you have access to any pictures of the new SC lathe?

Not yet, Jeff. David didn't take a camera, and I don't know if SC had any brochures or pictures out at the booth. I haven't seen anything from SC that he brought home. As soon as I have something, I'll post it. It's not on their website as yet, either.

Last edited:
Steel City

I went to Steel Citys home office in Murfreesboro Tn. Monday and saw the new lathe. It will turn a 20" bowl and has 52" between centers and can be ajusted to turn off the end, a 40" bowl I think. The motor is the DVR Nova and I belive its 2hp. The head stock looks like a DVR but much heavier and the bed is Much Much Much heaver than the DVR. The bed comes in 2 pieces and separtes in the middle when turning on the end and back half drops down and becomes the tool rest part of the lathe. I liked the lathe a lot and would consider buying tomrrow if possible. The speed goes from 100 to3500 RPM and has a reverse and all digetal. And the expected price is $2,700.00

Thanks

I went to Steel Citys home office in Murfreesboro Tn. Monday and saw the new lathe. It will turn a 20" bowl and has 52" between centers and can be ajusted to turn off the end, a 40" bowl I think. The motor is the DVR Nova and I belive its 2hp. The head stock looks like a DVR but much heavier and the bed is Much Much Much heaver than the DVR. The bed comes in 2 pieces and separtes in the middle when turning on the end and back half drops down and becomes the tool rest part of the lathe. I liked the lathe a lot and would consider buying tomrrow if possible. The speed goes from 100 to3500 RPM and has a reverse and all digetal. And the expected price is $2,700.00

Thanks
Sounds like it could give the PM 3520 a run for its money. :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to seeing one. (Although I'm not ready for my next lathe quite yet.)

Sounds like it could give the PM 3520 a run for its money. :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to seeing one. (Although I'm not ready for my next lathe quite yet.)

With all those features, it could give a lot of lathes on the market runs for the money. Don't believe I will ever again be in the market for a new lathe but it will be interesting to see when it comes out.

I talked with Steel City as well as I am looking for a larger lathe. They told me it is closer to a 3HP than 2 and it was 40" swing on the movable section of the bed. The told me right at $2800 and would be available no later then the January of next year but thought it would be more like November of this year.

They also said they would have something up on their website in the next couple of weeks. I think I am going to wait for this lathe. It sounds like everything I am looking for.

Alan

Hijack away. Much of what I post is with the intention of stimulating discussion and debate. The editor of the local newspaper has nicknamed me "Catalyst".

Since you put it that way;).....and since we are talking about new lathes....has anyone ever seen or played with one of these? See more at Ebo Inc.

4015.jpg

Incredible. One would have to own a sawmill and have access to big trees to make use of the capabilities. I note, no prices were posted.

Frank, I suspect it might be one of those, "If you have to ask the prices....." I'm tempted to call and ask, but since I'm not really in the market to buy one I think it would be rude to do so...anyone else want to? :D

I think it's a pretty new company:dunno: I read that they had a booth at the AAW symposium, but haven't heard much about it besides that. Looks similar to the VB36. Someday I will make my dream lathe, I have tons of pics and drawings in a folder....a guy can dream can't he. :rolleyes: