Tools in the middle - Home Stretch

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Just thinking ahead here :huh:

I'm way too busy now to do this, but it needs to be done, so I'm thinking early spring?

I really need to rearrange my shop. The current layout just is not working for me. I have my TS and bench in the middle of the floor and all the tools pushed against the wall. These pix are a few years old and I've added/upgraded some equipment since they were taken (It's also not been this clean in a long time:rofl:) But, it should give you the general idea.
East small.jpg North.jpg South.jpg West.jpg

Here's the current layout
View attachment Current layout.pdf

I'm thinking of buying the LOML a stacking washer/dryer and replacing our very old water heater with a wall hung on-demand unit. This would allow me to install a slop sink where the WH is now and move the fridge over to where the dryer now stands. Then I'd move the cabinets from the north wall to the west wall which would give me a wider space.

Here's the question for the group. I'm totally anal when it comes to placing equipment in the shop - always pushing things up against the walls. I've noticed that many people have machines out in the middle of the shop in 'clusters'. For those of you who've tried this - how well does it work?
Here's one idea - it allows me room to add a very much needed assembly table.
View attachment possible layout.pdf

Last edited:
Maybe it would be easier to visualize with a new hard wood floor? :rofl::p:D

Sorry couldn't resist;)...I will be watching this thread as I'm in the mood for a shop redo as well...a good cleaning is in need for me first though.

Maybe it would be easier to visualize with a new hard wood floor? :rofl::p:D

Sorry couldn't resist;)...I will be watching this thread as I'm in the mood for a shop redo as well...a good cleaning is in need for me first though.
Next Saturday is "shop cleaning day". It's the LOML's way (she's helping) of paying back for all the hard work I did on that floor. The shop is a total mess, burried under an inch of that real fine dust the laminate produces.:( We plan on clearing out the trash, putting away the tools, opening the doors at each end, and getting out the leaf blower!:rofl:

Rennie, I find that shop layout is very personal thing. You would probably hate what I have and mine yours. But I have refined mine and I have it close. I have one thing I don't like.

My layout has to do with room to move long boards to the planner, jointer radial arm and tablesaw. Every other machine is worked around that.

At the moment this is my layout. Just imagine a lot of "stuff" filling in the empty spaces too. And it is not as open as this makes it appear. It's pretty much to scale but ......

shop-current.jpg

The one thing I hate and will change soon. My jointers bench with all my hand tools is over by the left wall next to the compressor. I am constantly walking to it and do something. I now stage most projects in the center near the other bench with is just general purpose use. I need to move the jointer bench closer to the center of the room. Otherwise this works pretty well.

My late will probably go where the jointers bench is now, but I rarely turn anymore. So it's doesn't matter.

Thanks Jeff - I notice you have your band saws out in the middle - this is something I was thinking of doing. Currently mine is against the wall on wheels and I have to muscle it out (Rikon 18" - heavy) for any cut I want to make. I've hesitated putting my bench against the wall, but if the arrangement allows my to add a 3' x 6' assembly table I'd make the sacrifice!

Nice shop, Rennie. The empty coke carton is what really makes the decor! ;)

Quick aside: I was in the borg the other day, buying more paint in the middle of painting the playhouse. The trim color, of course, was picked by James... something between fire-engine and candy apple... and of course, I'd accidentally leaned against a painted surface. The sales girl rang me up, then told me: "I just have to say: that red looks fabulous on you!" ;)

Anyway, about the shop. One of the best layouts I've ever seen was in a magazine a few years ago. The guy started with a fair sized space. Then he figured out the exact height of all the tools, especially their tables. Then he built an "island", with power, dust collection, etc, on the inside, and all the tools around the outside, with their beds at the same height. He had everything there: table saw, miter saw, bandsaw, planer, jointer, mortiser, drill press, everything. The infeed for one was the outfeed for the other. One end was an assembly table, at the same height. Even had a workbench.

It looked like a dream. No more moving everything around. No more of one tool getting in the way of the other. No more "I can run this 8' board through the planer if I move the table saw." It must have taken a ton of planning, but it looked like it would save several tons of effort and frustration... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Anyway, about the shop. One of the best layouts I've ever seen was in a magazine a few years ago. The guy started with a fair sized space. Then he figured out the exact height of all the tools, especially their tables. Then he built an "island", with power, dust collection, etc, on the inside, and all the tools around the outside, with their beds at the same height. He had everything there: table saw, miter saw, bandsaw, planer, jointer, mortiser, drill press, everything. The infeed for one was the outfeed for the other. One end was an assembly table, at the same height. Even had a workbench.

It looked like a dream. No more moving everything around. No more of one tool getting in the way of the other. No more "I can run this 8' board through the planer if I move the table saw." It must have taken a ton of planning, but it looked like it would save several tons of effort and frustration... ;)

Bill, do you mean this article from Fine Woodworking??
That was only about 2-3 years ago, IIRC. If so, I think that is a "different strokes for different folks" situation, as I think it'd be awkward. It's a huge island, so I forsee lots of walking around and around.

Rennie, since you're talking big picture... lose the fridge. Your electrical bill will thank you, and you'll love the extra space. Isn't it just you and your wife at home now? Do you seriously need an extra fridge? (Losing the fridge would give you the same space win as replacing the HWH or buying the stacking W/D and would be free!)

I can't really comment on the tools-in-the-middle approach, as I don't have any personal experience there.

best,
...art

That's an improvement, Rennie. But, it looks more cluttered than dirty. I'll forgive ye though. Remember, a used shop is a loved shop.
As for those layout programs. I used the Grizzly design thingy to duplicate my shop and discovered that I can't fit everything in it that I already have. :huh:

Thanks Jeff - I notice you have your band saws out in the middle - this is something I was thinking of doing. ...........

I've hesitated putting my bench against the wall, but if the arrangement allows my to add a 3' x 6' assembly table I'd make the sacrifice!

I prefer my jointers bench against the wall now. I have yet to have a need for it out in the middle. I want to add a tool cabinet overhead to keep tools off the bench. My problem now is I can't move it and keep it against a wall. My other option is a new larger base with more drawers and storage. It runs over now.

I wouldn't want to be with a separate bench I can glue on and not worry about!

I have both my bandsaws out in the middle because I like the space around them to stand and I work. (I still have not finshed the 30" saw yet) I am often cutting something long like a paddle. When you go to cut a radius on the end.... you need LOTS of space!

Jeff, do you have three drill presses? If so, how come?

Actualy I have two DP's. When I was received that cabinet shop it had two old Craftsman Drill presses. I sold my cheap Delta and restored one of them and the other one was usable. It's a luxury but I love having two!

The third one is actually a floor model Mortiser. I didn't have a model of it and the DP is close to the same size.

Here you go - one very dirty shop:eek:

Good gosh man!! :eek:

It always gets cluttered when I'm working on the house. Come in, get something, put something else down.... eventually, clutter big time. I need better work habits. :rofl::rofl: