Tools in the middle - Home Stretch

Maybe it would be easier to visualize with a new hard wood floor? :rofl::p:D

Sorry couldn't resist;)...I will be watching this thread as I'm in the mood for a shop redo as well...a good cleaning is in need for me first though.

I think more lights & clerestory windows would help a lot.:eek::thumb::):D:rofl::rofl::rofl::wave:

I had a reaction to MSG today I'm starting to feel a little better can you tell. Boy that is scary stuff heart racing dizzy brain fuzzy no fun at all.

Last edited:
a fridge, an AC, is there a TV in there as well? Beats my first apt when I got out of school.
I'm envious of all you guys with such huge dedicated space for woodworking.
The fridge holds overflow from the house - stuff prepared in bulk, etc. A little barley pop, too.:D

The AC was a end of season deal at HD. Helps me get through the 105 degree days in July/August. The shop also has it's own heater - a Hot Dawg 30,000 BTU gas. A real deal picked up on eBay a few years ago.

It's a large space, about 400 sf, but I share it with the furnace, washer, dryer, water heater, the back half of the fireplace, and a lot of household storage. When you get right down to it, my space is around 300 sf. Still large by most standards, but it still feels small sometimes.:(

No TV, but I do have a 30 yr old stereo.:rofl:

Jack Frost has been banished from around here. We hear about him, but we still doubt the claims that he exists. One day, we had snow flakes - big as a nickel ... but they melted 3' before they hit the ground.

Seasons are overrated. :D

Car? Now who would park a car in the middle of a perfectly good work area?

On long Island, space is a luxury, and the only thing that is a luxury is my sports car, so I prefer to keep it indoors when not in use. Unfortunately, the work Im invovled in now I wont let the car get close too, cause yellow dust gets into everything and anything.

On long Island, space is a luxury, and the only thing that is a luxury is my sports car, so I prefer to keep it indoors when not in use. Unfortunately, the work Im invovled in now I wont let the car get close too, cause yellow dust gets into everything and anything.

That is just the Californian in me talking. My last three cars only saw the garage from the outside. They were all just basic transportation. It is good to have a car that deserves some appreciative care ;).

. You wouldn't let a horse in your lining room now would you:thumb:

since this is a family site, I wont make any comments about my wifes relatives:rofl::rofl::rofl:..

the horse comment does remind of a movie scene, where some kid was taking a horse into a buildings elevator, and another person said, hey, you cant take that horse into the lift!(took place in Ireland), and the kid responded, "Got to, the stairs would kill him!"

Last edited:
Cars don't belong inside. You wouldn't let a horse in your lining room now would you:thumb: Now if it was a tractor they should always have a roof over them when not in use.
Rennie I have fixed you space problem........ Just send all your tools and wood to Larry. Then you will have 400 sqf of clear space to work in.:thumb:
But then Larry would have no room!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks Jeff - I notice you have your band saws out in the middle - this is something I was thinking of doing. Currently mine is against the wall on wheels and I have to muscle it out (Rikon 18" - heavy) for any cut I want to make. I've hesitated putting my bench against the wall, but if the arrangement allows my to add a 3' x 6' assembly table I'd make the sacrifice!

Rennie,
In my opinion the tablesaw,bandsaw, jointer and in my case the drill press is out in the center.
My bandsaw and drill press is configured around a support post in my shop ( http://www.superwoodworks.com/images/InsideShop/ShopShots/ShopShot11.JPG & http://www.superwoodworks.com/images/InsideShop/ShopShots/ShopShot01.JPG )
which does not actually cost me any room but allows me to work with long pieces when needed.
If you do not work with long pieces on your table saw then the construction table and bandsaw behind your table saw may work for you.
At one time I had my construction table (non moveable)behind my table saw for convienence but whenever I had a project on the table it seemed to interfeer with the tablesaw. Just swinging a long board or cutting a sheet of plywood.
I would try to keep the construction table in an area that will be clear of material that needs to dimensioned which will help to avoid accidental damage to your current projects. Believe me I am speaking from experience.

Rennie,
In my opinion the tablesaw,bandsaw, jointer and in my case the drill press is out in the center.
My bandsaw and drill press is configured around a support post in my shop ( http://www.superwoodworks.com/images/InsideShop/ShopShots/ShopShot11.JPG & http://www.superwoodworks.com/images/InsideShop/ShopShots/ShopShot01.JPG )
which does not actually cost me any room but allows me to work with long pieces when needed.
If you do not work with long pieces on your table saw then the construction table and bandsaw behind your table saw may work for you.
At one time I had my construction table (non moveable)behind my table saw for convienence but whenever I had a project on the table it seemed to interfeer with the tablesaw. Just swinging a long board or cutting a sheet of plywood.
I would try to keep the construction table in an area that will be clear of material that needs to dimensioned which will help to avoid accidental damage to your current projects. Believe me I am speaking from experience.
Thanks Garry!

I'm still playing with designs - I've got time. Seems like a good reason to finally learn Skecthup! The assembly table - very much needed - would be on wheels. My bench, currently behind my saw, poses the exact problems you note, so I was thinking of placing that against the wall. The wheels on an assembly table would allow for a quick shove out of the way for cutting long stock.

A couple of people have noted that I might need more room on the out feed side of the TS. Actually, the saw faces the garage door in my 'maybe' floor plan. That would take care of anything long, but anything 5' and under could be cut without having to open the door.:thumb:

That last one looks like it would work nicely. Just open the garage door for long stuff. Having the assembly bench on wheels would work nicely as well. I'm thinking about doing that myself. Currently I just have some of those three wheel dollys to move it out when I need more room around it.