Tools in the middle - Home Stretch

My wife paid you to say that, right? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

nah, its living in a tiny house without a laundry room, or any extra room for that matter and the lack of the utility sink.
I keep getting warned that once we change kitchen sinks, I wont be allowed to wash my brushes in there anymore.
Never realized how important a sink is when you work with finishes or paint all the time.

nah, its living in a tiny house without a laundry room, or any extra room for that matter and the lack of the utility sink.
I keep getting warned that once we change kitchen sinks, I wont be allowed to wash my brushes in there anymore.
Never realized how important a sink is when you work with finishes or paint all the time.
Rennie, I have to agree with Allen. A sink is really indispensable in a shop. Not only for washing out brushes, but for sharpening. I use water stones and not having a sink next to your sharpening station, let alone the shop is a pain. The next workshop will have a sink in it.:thumb:

A couple of years ago I was working out of town (Oregon) and I rented a house there coming home on the weekends. Since the wife was not there, I furnished it like a workshop. Shopmate set up in the dining room and the kitchen was set up as a sharpening station. Had a small granite block and also my water stones. I was able to tackle flattening backs on chisels and planer irons to my hearts content. It was so nice having a dedicated sink.

Sidenote: While down there I took a sharpening class from Mike Wenzloff (the saw maker). Nice guy, really down to earth. Too bad he does not participate here much.

If I had your space, I would place a short counter next to the sink for the sharpening station, but I realize that your priorities may be different, especially if you do not use water stones.

Rennie, I have to agree with Allen. A sink is really indispensable in a shop. Not only for washing out brushes, but for sharpening. I use water stones and not having a sink next to your sharpening station, let alone the shop is a pain. The next workshop will have a sink in it.:thumb:
Sound advice Bill. I agree. The sink is something that would be very high on my priority list were I building a shop. It still is a priority, even as I consider rearranging.

I showed the $3,000 solution to the LOML and, as I predicted, easy sell. She gets a new washer/dryer and sink, I get floor space and a sink.:thumb: We keep her fridge (having a fridge in the shop is a nice thing anyway) but it moves out of the 'shop' area. She also gets more floor space in front of the laundry and her scroll saw moves out into the middle of the floor where it will be more pleasant for her to work. Seems like a win-win.:D

So, my spring project is starting to grow legs! now, where do all those other projects fall? Fence, kitchen, porch, roof, fireplace...:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
its really not inconvenient for me to step 40 feet and use my kitchen sink.
I have 3 sinks. 2 bathrooms, one kitchen. My wife is always unpleased when I use the kitchen sink to rinse anything off.

I have one of those outdoor sinks attached to the garden hose, but the water has to drain out onto my driveway, so Id rather not drain old paint and stuff, Now, if I could figure out a way to hide it and run it over into my "nice" neighbors yard, now that would be a thought.

When I moved into this house, I was told the previoius owners had a washer and dryer in the garage, so there must be a water line ran somewhere, I dont see any plumbing pipes in there.

My shop area has water and drain connections. When we moved in I told my wife I was going to install a urinal and sink. She was very opposed that as she believes ones 'business' should be conducted in a proper bathroom with the door closed. So, now, I track dust and shavings through the house to get water. Wimmins....go figger...:dunno:

My shop area has water and drain connections. When we moved in I told my wife I was going to install a urinal and sink. She was very opposed that as she believes ones 'business' should be conducted in a proper bathroom with the door closed. So, now, I track dust and shavings through the house to get water. Wimmins....go figger...:dunno:
Now that's rich! :rofl::rofl:

I guess it beats a coffee can! If I had the opportinity to (money not being an object of concern) build a dream shop it would certainly have a "proper bathroom". :D

Lumber storage

I read back through several threads regarding lumber storage (thanks Ned:thumb:) because the plan I'm working on for reorganizing my shop - sometime after the holidays - calls for me to discard the roll-around unit I built 9 years ago and put my storage up on a wall. Yes, this means I've got to get rid of some lumber :(.

I happen to have a lot of the double row shelf standards that some of you have used with both 12" and 16" deep brackets. From what I've read this is a good way to go - clean, neat, and fully adjustable. Also, supporting the lumber every 16" spreads the weight out.

To those of you who have tried, or still use this method - How's it working?
View attachment Lumber stoage.pdf

The clamp rack - not yet built - would be on wheels, but you're right. It's too far away.

We all work differently but here's my take on clamps; they should be handy but, I don't need them within arms reach. I know what clamps I will be using and I bring them to the assembly area (with a couple extras).

This keeps my assembly area clear until I am ready to do a dry fit or a glue up. This also means that when I remove the clamps, they go back 'over there' and are out of my way once again as I move on.

I would not want them where I have to do much more than cross the room and pluck them from the wall (my floor space is such that a roll-about cart is impractical) but I don't need them hovering right next to me either. Maybe I'm clamp-claustrophobic? :rolleyes:

I would not want them where I have to do much more than cross the room and pluck them from the wall (my floor space is such that a roll-about cart is impractical) but I don't need them hovering right next to me either. Maybe I'm clamp-claustrophobic? :rolleyes:
My current arrangement has them hanging on the wall BEHIND my band saw.:eek: It's a REAL PAIN when I get 90% into a glue-up and realize I need one more clamp. Al's suggestion hit home and reminded me of my current issues, so the rack will move to the other end of the shop, nearer the assembly table. Not in the way, but not far away either.

Up till now anything that rolls in my shop could not go far!:rofl::rofl: I'm hoping, as I develop a plan for reorganizing, that this will change.:D

I read back through several threads regarding lumber storage (thanks Ned:thumb:) because the plan I'm working on for reorganizing my shop - sometime after the holidays - calls for me to discard the roll-around unit I built 9 years ago and put my storage up on a wall. Yes, this means I've got to get rid of some lumber :(.

I happen to have a lot of the double row shelf standards that some of you have used with both 12" and 16" deep brackets. From what I've read this is a good way to go - clean, neat, and fully adjustable. Also, supporting the lumber every 16" spreads the weight out.

To those of you who have tried, or still use this method - How's it working?
View attachment 23973

You're welcome....

so far ,at least, it is working well. Other than the short boards issue, but that's my fault, not the rack's. (too much pack-rat-itis going on)

Last edited:
I use brackets similar to those you describe. The trick in my shop was shimming the standards so that they were perpendicular to mother earth left-to-right AND front-to-back. Once done, this is a very strong and flexible system. It is also easy and inexpensive to add on to. I have been very happy with it. Here it is at a rare 'kinda empty' moment so you can actually see the rack: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22972&d=1218992974

Last edited:
Big setback..... maybe

Well, as part of our advance research and planning the LOML and I went over to the Blue Borg to look at stacking washers and dryers. The new jazzy extra large load jobs. They're sharp machines, but we discovered a problem neither of us had considered. You darn near have to sit on the floor to look inside the washer to make sure nothing's stuck to the drum.

Now, we're not really old (like Frank:D), but we are getting up in years and this will likely be the last laundry machines we buy as they tend to last a long time. The prospect of having to bend over, or kneel down, every time we do a load of laundry when we reach our 70's is not an attractive one.

So, it's back to the drawing board for the shop reorganization. One bright spot - the LOML really likes the new layout I came up with and she now understands that the fridge is the linchpin to the whole design. I think there may be some softening of her position on the horizon.:rolleyes:

Now, we're not really old!!!!????:doh::wave::):D

Ya must be old they say the brain is the first to go... so what about building a short base to set the machine on? I know this will raise the dryer a little too but maybe you can strike a happy medium.
Actually, the dryer controls are already 6' off the floor. Raising the stacked pair, even a few additional inches, would require you to use a step ladder to turn on the dryer.:eek::rofl::rofl:

ok rennie i am bored!!!

first of all you need that slop sink if you can get it,, my old shop didnt have water and the new does but not in side yet,, i have to fill up the jug and bring it in to make coffee,,that is apian in itself,, not to mentione the brush cleaning and the sharpening scenarios,, the clamps need to be near your assembly table not on the other side of the room.. the racks for lumber like they showed,,bill i think had them are great,, just pay attention to your postioning of them and the load limits.. also you mentioned gettin rid of some of your wood,, badddd thought!!! shame on you never ever get rid of wood use it to make something even if its another porty potty box.. the mortiser and chop saw could easily be on one bench like "norm does" which coild save some space..if i ahd time i would dro over to help get things set up.:D but yur to far away right now.. not sure on the stackble washer and dryer they sound neat but not if the controls are that high.. not many ladies are 6 ft tall these days so what are the companys thinkun????? anything you can consoldate into one spot do it. well nuff said fer now gotta catch my breath:rofl: