Tools in the middle - Home Stretch

first of all you need that slop sink if you can get it,, my old shop didnt have water and the new does but not in side yet,, i have to fill up the jug and bring it in to make coffee,,that is apian in itself,, not to mentione the brush cleaning and the sharpening scenarios,, the clamps need to be near your assembly table not on the other side of the room.. the racks for lumber like they showed,,bill i think had them are great,, just pay attention to your postioning of them and the load limits.. also you mentioned gettin rid of some of your wood,, badddd thought!!! shame on you never ever get rid of wood use it to make something even if its another porty potty box.. the mortiser and chop saw could easily be on one bench like "norm does" which coild save some space..if i ahd time i would dro over to help get things set up.:D but yur to far away right now.. not sure on the stackble washer and dryer they sound neat but not if the controls are that high.. not many ladies are 6 ft tall these days so what are the companys thinkun????? anything you can consoldate into one spot do it. well nuff said fer now gotta catch my breath:rofl:
Hey - I'm still in the planning stages!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lot's of time to rearrange on paper. Might even give me the reason I need to learn sketch up!:thumb:

Hey Larry - the clean up is about done! New Pics!!

Well, after several days and a couple hundred pounds of sawdust, the shop clean up is 99% complete. I also took the opportunity to add some additional lighting over the TS and bench. Now you can see why I'm thinking so hard about a reorg of my space.

Like I stated earlier, the design is about 10 years old and was not designed for the machinery I have now. As tools have been added they have just been pushed into whatever space was still open. The result is poor work flow and tools that do not have enough working space around them.

I think that by next spring the fridge will have found a new home and that will clear the way for some major tool moving.:D

Sorry Larry, but I do need to relieve myself of some lumber. I'll go through it during the winter, use some, loose what's not worth keeping, and keep the rest. I promise not to toss anything usable.:wave:

DSC_2835.jpg DSC_2836.jpg DSC_2837.jpg DSC_2838.jpg DSC_2839.jpg DSC_2840.jpg DSC_2841.jpg DSC_2842.jpg

...t we discovered a problem neither of us had considered. You darn near have to sit on the floor to look inside the washer to make sure nothing's stuck to the drum.

Now, we're not really old (like Frank:D), but we are getting up in years and this will likely be the last laundry machines we buy as they tend to last a long time. The prospect of having to bend over, or kneel down, every time we do a load of laundry when we reach our 70's is not an attractive one.

Yes, you need to bend over when loading/unloading/checking a front-load washer. But how is that any different than for a dryer? You also need to bend to load/unload/check one of those also. And I saw the dryer in your photo, so I know you gots one of them. ;)

Another idea: Our front-load W/D are in the mudroom. So we have a chair right there for sitting in when we put on shoes or boots. Therefore my wife and I often just sit down in the chair when loading or unloading the Washer.

And of course you can still get a conventional (top loading washer) stacking combo. Sears still carries them at least.

------

Very nice clean shop, by the way, Rennie. When I look at the current layout, and try to match that up with your plans to date... whew, you're moving basically everything!! So I guess this has to wait for spring so that you can open the doors and make use of the driveway while you rearrange stuff?

Oh, and that fireplace bump-out is huge. Is it all full of chimney, or is there dead space? I can't remember if the entire fireplace is recessed in the wall. Sure you wouldn't like to rip that out and put in a nice small gas fired direct-vent unit? (ducking and running...)

ttfn
...art

It was easier - so I included my answers below:D
Yes, you need to bend over when loading/unloading/checking a front-load washer. But how is that any different than for a dryer? You also need to bend to load/unload/check one of those also. And I saw the dryer in your photo, so I know you gots one of them. ;)

Our current dryer is up on a platform I built because the bending over was getting to be too much of a problem. If we choose to go with new front loaders, I'll build a platform for both of them.

Another idea: Our front-load W/D are in the mudroom. So we have a chair right there for sitting in when we put on shoes or boots. Therefore my wife and I often just sit down in the chair when loading or unloading the Washer.

And of course you can still get a conventional (top loading washer) stacking combo. Sears still carries them at least.

We looked at an interesting top loading dryer. Very interesting.:rolleyes:

------

Very nice clean shop, by the way, Rennie. When I look at the current layout, and try to match that up with your plans to date... whew, you're moving basically everything!! So I guess this has to wait for spring so that you can open the doors and make use of the driveway while you rearrange stuff?

Yep, the driveway and the back patio. Virtually every item relocates. One nice thing, I only have to relocate 2 outlets and a minor change to the DC system.:D

Oh, and that fireplace bump-out is huge. Is it all full of chimney, or is there dead space? I can't remember if the entire fireplace is recessed in the wall. Sure you wouldn't like to rip that out and put in a nice small gas fired direct-vent unit? (ducking and running...)

No need to duck. The FP was converted to gas before we bought the house, and yes, it's huge.:( Unfortunately, it would be a MAJOR undertaking to get rid of it or reduce it in size.:(

ttfn
...art

Rennie, we have a stacking w/d. The washer drum can spin when it's not on so all you have to do to look for that sock that is stuck to the drum is give it a spin. It will come around so you can see it from a resonable standing position. It's really no different that a conventional dryer drum.

maybe some rennie,, wood that is can be removed to abetter home..say fitz he could always use some good wood:) boy you go talot in a small space there, are all thos uppers and lower cabs full too? looks to me that you could thin your paint supply as well.. unless your gonna be ahardwares or paint store soon:) looke for you mortiser in yourt pics and didnt see it,, but as much as you use it in your G&G style that you do so well,, i would have to the right of your miter saw on the flat counter there.. did you make the wood bench? unique vize shape you have there..

maybe some rennie,, wood that is can be removed to abetter home..say fitz he could always use some good wood:) boy you go talot in a small space there, are all thos uppers and lower cabs full too? looks to me that you could thin your paint supply as well.. unless your gonna be ahardwares or paint store soon:) looke for you mortiser in yourt pics and didnt see it,, but as much as you use it in your G&G style that you do so well,, i would have to the right of your miter saw on the flat counter there.. did you make the wood bench? unique vize shape you have there..
Hi Larry!

Yes, all the upper and lower cabinets are full, or nearly full. I really need to go through them.:eek:

As for the paints, most need to be kept. Half the cans you see are unopened, waiting for the project to come up.:rofl:

The mortiser shares a cabinet with the planer. Can't see it in the picture, but I promise, it's there.:D
Mortiser hiding place (800 x 600).jpg

The bench is an antique - made about 90 years ago. Long story, but I want to keep it even though it's not the best thing for my kind of work. That's one of the reasons I need to add an assembly table.

Last edited:
Rennie, we have a stacking w/d. The washer drum can spin when it's not on so all you have to do to look for that sock that is stuck to the drum is give it a spin. It will come around so you can see it from a resonable standing position. It's really no different that a conventional dryer drum.
True, but it's still quite a bend to get down there. Probably why the manufacturers can get away with charging $200+ for the drawer pedestals that are seen in all the ads.:rofl:

6 Months early - I had to do it.

I've been playing around now for over a month rearranging my shop - on paper - in an attempt to make it more efficient and more pleasurable to work in. I’ve shared many of the design ideas here and have received a lot of good feedback. I also mined the archives of the “shop tour” forum for additional ideas. I assumed that I would not be able to actually start moving things around till after the holidays primarily because of two reasons; First, I am supposed to be building a three piece chancel furniture set for a church, and second, all my plans involved getting rid of our extra refrigerator which the LOML was not really happy about.:(

Well, two things happened on Friday of last week to change everything. The deposit check from the church did not arrive, and while playing around with the design I stumbled on a way to keep the fridge and still get the shop layout I wanted. I spent 4 hours in the shop Friday night double checking measurements and making a detailed plan and timetable for the changes. I thought it was possible to do it in a weekend - well, at least most of it.:rolleyes:

At 6:30 AM on Saturday morning the work began. Over the weekend I spent 23 hours in the shop. Not a single cabinet, bench, or tool is in the same spot save one small wall cabinet. Everything’s changed. (The new water heater, slop sink, and pantry cabinet will have to wait till after the holidays - budget reasons)

Here’s the final layout I came up with. Not the best of all worlds, but it meets my needs and keeps peace in the family. I promise, pictures will follow!:D I’ll probably start a new thread under “Shop Tours” later this week. I still have the lumber pile to move - the only thing left on the list other than spinning the TS around. I considered taking a vacation day today to finish up, but since every joint and muscle in my body is crying out in agony, I thought it might be better to wait for a few days!:eek::rofl:
View attachment Shop final.pdf

Rennie,
that's makin me a bit envious. Nice setup.
My basement shop also shares the laundry space. Good dust collection is the key to domestic tranquility.
Have fun making dust.
Paul Hubbman

Rennie,
that's makin me a bit envious. Nice setup.
My basement shop also shares the laundry space. Good dust collection is the key to domestic tranquility.
Have fun making dust.
Paul Hubbman
Thanks Paul. Still a little tight, but certainly much better than it was. I should finish up the move this week - then I'll post some pictures.

Last edited:
That is looking good. It is a bit tight but not "real tight" by any means. Your walkways seem fine. Two things that may help (depending on people's height):

First: My clothes rack is suspended OVER the washer and dryer. This does two things; saves me floor space and keeps me from leaving the clothes hanging there ;-)

Second: Never name a shop plan "final". It angers the organization gods and they will unleash their wrath upon you with furious anger.

The deposit check from the church did not arrive, and while playing around with the design I stumbled on a way to keep the fridge and still get the shop layout I wanted.
Not the best of all worlds, but it meets my needs and keeps peace in the family.

Peace = Good. :congrats:
No Deposit cheque = ??? :huh:

Looks like a workable layout, too. :thumb:

That is looking good. It is a bit tight but not "real tight" by any means. Your walkways seem fine. Two things that may help (depending on people's height):

First: My clothes rack is suspended OVER the washer and dryer. This does two things; saves me floor space and keeps me from leaving the clothes hanging there ;-)

Second: Never name a shop plan "final". It angers the organization gods and they will unleash their wrath upon you with furious anger.

True, or that one new tool you can't live without comes on sale. :D
We looked at hanging the clothes bar above the W/D, but there are currently cabinets above them that hold all the assorted cleaning supplies. We also looked at hanging it above the position as shown on the drawings. This would require some mechanism for raising and lowering it. KISS won out, so it will stay on its wheels..... for now:D

As for the "final", well I guess I committed one of the greatest SOS's (shop owner sins). As penance I will burn the plan and donate what little I have in the tool fund to my wife's shoe fund. That'll learn me!:eek::rofl::rofl:

Peace = Good. :congrats:
No Deposit cheque = ??? :huh:

Looks like a workable layout, too. :thumb:
Hi Art,

I'm not worried about the check coming - it'll get here..... eventually. I'm actually quite thankful that it's late. Considering the size of the furniture I need to build for them, the old layout in the shop was gong to make it nearly impossible. By being late with the deposit they allowed me the opportunity to rearrange things and have the build go smoother! All things work for the good.

I have everything moved except the lumber and a couple of outlets. It looks - so far - that it will be a huge improvement. Thanks for the kind words.

even though Im sure youre all sore from all that work, its hard for me to feel sorry for a guy who has a fridge in his shop.
Please dont tell me you decided to dump the paint storage area and put a flat screen in the cabinet instead.

even though Im sure youre all sore from all that work, its hard for me to feel sorry for a guy who has a fridge in his shop.
Please dont tell me you decided to dump the paint storage area and put a flat screen in the cabinet instead.
I'm waiting for the prices to drop after Thanksgiving:rofl:

Allllllmost there

As reported earlier I spent many hours in the shop last week rearranging EVERYTHING. I'm almost done! Yesterday my son came over and helped me de-construct my old lumber rack. Everything worth saving has been moved to the new rack - on the wall - and everything else went in the back of the truck in preparation for a trip to the local andfill on Saturday. They have a special 'wood' section for reclaiming.

I'm amazed at how open the shop feels now! It feels twice as large and moving around has become much easier.

I still need to restack my walnut supply where the assembly table will eventually go and spin the TS 180 degrees. Then I'll remove a portion of the outfeed table, put in a couple of new outlets, and I'll be done..... for a while.

Pictures are coming! I took a lot of pictures during the rearrangement, but it's really hard to see all that's going on. Here's a couple of samples.
DSC_2943.jpg DSC_2948.jpg DSC_2949.jpg DSC_2951.jpg

is that the LIST?

the honey do list i see stuck on the drill press? if so rennie your way behind.. and i thought you had acommission your supposed to be working on... they guy up stairs in cahrge of that is lookin down and scratchun his head in amzement i am sure as to how and when your gonna start on his stuff????:rofl::D