Ike's Eye

Brad OKeefe

Looks like we are in direct path of Ike this evening. We are right on the edge of the mandatory evac line, 20 miles north of Galveston, so we are sheltering in place.

It's about 6 PM, and winds are now picking up. Gonna be a long night.

Brad

No doubt about the long night. We're about 180 miles up 290 and wondering how it'll play out. Our usual summer playground (Galveston) looks to have some tough times ahead.

Keep your head down and be safe.

Just so y'all won't think I have suddenly become normal.....
Monday we are going to Galveston. :eek:
Our cruise that was stopped by Gustav has been rescheduled for this Monday and Carnival says it will fly per original plans.

I would not put much effort in packing...I have to think that their plans will change unless this a cruise of the Texas inner waterway.

Seriously, too much effort will be taking place in rescuing people and assessing the damage to allow the influx of cruise ship passengers into the area.

Just so y'all won't think I have suddenly become normal.....
Monday we are going to Galveston. :eek:
Our cruise that was stopped by Gustav has been rescheduled for this Monday and Carnival says it will fly per original plans.

Well, that's what they are saying now!! :rofl: If you're not in down town Houston, you have no power right now. I'm wondering how many of the big ships will have been tossed around in the ship channel. Could be pretty ugly down there for a couple months. Jim.

Frank,

Sounds iffy. They were just announcing via the weather channel that those who reside in Galveston, and evacuated, NOT to return. Unknown duration of the edict.

FYI

Frank,

Sounds iffy. They were just announcing via the weather channel that those who reside in Galveston, and evacuated, NOT to return. Unknown duration of the edict.

FYI

I agree. Actually, we are pretty irritated with the decision and lack of information. Wife it trying, via internet, to find out if the airport at Houston is even open. Then there are questions about whether I45 is open or flooded and whether the various services needed to refit the ship are available. I am not real happy with Carnival at this point.

I would say the needs of the people in the area a tad more important than the Cruise lines. :rolleyes:
Amen! Having lived in the Houston from 1980 until 1998 and then in Florida from 1998 until 2006, we can understand what people in the Houston/Galveston area are going through. We spent a lot of fun times along the seawall in Galveston, so it's a shocker to see so much damage there now.

By the way, the following is from the Carnival website:

Carnival Ecstasy September 15, 2008 Departure

We are planning to operate this cruise as scheduled with departure on Monday, September 15.

There is some chance that the Port of Galveston will not be open on Monday. If that occurs, we will operate a 4 day cruise departing on Tuesday, September 16.

We will send a communication to all guests on this cruise no later than 7:00 PM (CDT) on Sunday to advise any changes to our plans to operate the scheduled 5 day cruise on Monday, September 15.

We want to thank all of our guests for sailing with us. We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Carnival Conquest and Carnival Ecstasy on Monday.

No way am I trying to minimize the plight of others. I cannot even imagine what folks down there are experiencing. But, I am trying to illustrate how such a weather event can affect the lives of so many people.

Well, it looks like we made it through Ike.

We were on the west outskirts of the major windage, northwest of Houston. I went to sleep at 1:00AM, and slept through it all:thumb:, awoke at 10:00AM walked through the house, noticed the power was out, the floor was dry, went back to bed until 11:30.

The LOML said the power went out at 6:00AM this morning, and it came back on at around noon, just in time for breakfast.

We got lucky, nothing major happened!! I wish others less fortunate and farther to the south can get back to their normal routine as quickly as possible.

Other than the mess to clean up in the back yard from the leaves and a few branches
2853848655_8b31c0996b.jpg

2854668292_f4f4cd2894.jpg

2854691388_f47e1dea0b.jpg

We had some other branches fall to the side of the house
2853798255_dba74d11e9.jpg

2854543920_d96b6c5e54.jpg

Ted

Whoa...that was an interesting ride. House rocked and rolled all night. They measured 89 mile per hour winds here in our part of town, breezy to say the least.

Not much damage to home though. Lost a few shingles and back fence is down but structural integrity is excellent.

Amazingly, our block and adjacent one got power back by 10 AM the next morning. What a blessing!

Off to help brother out in Alvin, they took it pretty hard.

Later.

Brad

Well, I'm still here.
Second time, trip cancelled by a hurricane. We were halfway to Little Rock and got a call cruise was cancelled. I thought that would happen but the cancellation had to come from Carnival for us to get a refund. Events were just stacked against it. Houston airport was closed, I45 from Houston to Galveston was questionable and the Galveston port was closed and no power or people were available to refit the ship.
We came home Sunday afternoon. That night high winds and rain came through our area (Ozarks of north Arkansas). Lots of branches down and loss of power for many. We were out for about six hours. Our internet service was restored just a few minutes ago.
Very sad for all the people in the Texas regions so hard hit. Glad for those who, literally, lived through it.

I emailed him and called yesterday...no reply. Just called again and still just get his voice mail....:doh:

Hope he and the others that went through Ike are OK. Probably power is out and they can check-in yet. I hope that's all it is.