Spiral Fluted Vase

Cody Colston

Spalted Sweetgum, 8 1/2" x 5" finished with Deft Gloss Lacquer. I carved the flutes with the little spoon gouge from my beginner's carving set...a ton of work. I've got about 10 hours in this piece.

I apologize for the pics but I didn't feel like setting up the light stands. I just used the camera flash, that's why the shadow.

Attachments

• Fluted Vase 001.jpg
    Fluted Vase 001.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Fluted Vase 002.jpg
    Fluted Vase 002.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 62
That's a great piece, Cody. A lot of work, but I think the outcome was worth it.

Good to see you're staying occupied while you chase oil rigs around the Gulf. :p

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Ron, I carved it with it in my lap, sitting down in an old office chair I keep in the shop. I'm pretty lazy. ;)

Mo, it took about two hours to hand sand it. I wrapped sandpaper around a 4" length of 1/2" Oak dowel and went through the grits from 80 to 400. I did put it back in the chuck on the lathe to sand. With the head stock rotated 90 degrees, I was able to really get some elbow grease on the sand paper.

Vaughn, I spent my two week hitch offshore running from Hurricane Gustav. We steamed towards the Bay of Campeche until it passed behind us. Then, I got home just in time to watch Hurricane Ike pass over my house...although it was only tropical storm strength by the time it got here. Still, I've got lots of leaves and small limbs in the yard and a folding lawn chair in the pool. No major damage, though. The power went out just after I put finish on a new hollow form so...I took a nap. :D

Last edited:
Interesting vase Cody! Nice design! Never realized how much time it takes to carve something - my hands would be killing me!

Glad you got through the storms! Always something! Looking forward to seeing that new hollow form!

Great work Cody! I like the way you always seem to push the envelope with your designs. Are most fluted pieces carved by hand? If so, I have a new appreciation for them. I just figured people used exotic router jigs for that sort of thing.

Sweet!

That's very nice! It's interesting to hear how much time it took, cuz I have been thinking I want to get into carving my pieces. Great work, and way to stick with the sanding! It may have been time consuming, but you did an excellent job! :thumb:

Hutch

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I carved it with it in my lap, sitting down in an old office chair I keep in the shop. I'm pretty lazy. ;)

Hi Cody.
That's a really pretty bowl and the fact of incorporating other type of decoration no made in the lathe gives it an interesting twich. I like the soft effect achieved ( wanted or not).

But... let me warn you about carving in your lap any object and specially round ones, it is the best way to get a gouge in your leg specially if you are using your legs as a vise. I'm glad it didn't happen to you.:)

But... let me warn you about carving in your lap any object and specially round ones, it is the best way to get a gouge in your leg specially if you are using your legs as a vise. I'm glad it didn't happen to you.:)

Thanks for the comments Tony and I'll keep that in mind about lap carving. There's more than just the femoral artery located down there. ;)

Really great work Cody. How a bout a short tutorial on how to do something like this. I can hardly believe it is hand carved. How do you get the flutes to follow each other in such a perfect manner. Would love to try it.

Nice mix

of some spinny stuff and the carving cody,, and as for the lap work, i dont think a leather apron is gonna help much either.. your carving tools need to be sharppp! to do what you done on that piece and sharp goes threw leather, i have seen it many times on critters:D