riving knife??

thanks everyone. that really clears it up for me. it really seems a riving knife would be a great addition to any table saw. now to find a way to retrofit them...:huh:

chris

chris, if you`re able to design a functional retrofit you`ll be able to retire;)

Seems to ba a bit of confusion on whether a riving knife's top goes above the blade or just under the highest point! And both side are winners as the answer is BOTH. It depends on how the manufacturer designed it. What all have in common is that that ride up and down and tilt with the blade with the same distance of clearance between the back of the blade and front of the knife (usaully around 1/8" - 3/16") regardless of blade position. So.. raised.. lowered.. tilted.. the clearance remains the same.

Some maufacturers leave the knife raw or open. Some added a plexi guard (ala PM 2000) as most U.S. saws have and have had for eternity. But the most common thing you see on a European TS with riving knife is a Euro crown guard.. either with plexi attached to it or just the guard. The crown is attached directly to the riving knife which is attached to the arbor below. All move as one flowing unit and the crown keeps the wood from lifting and and rocketing up. up.. up..

So the riving knife reduces kick from side to side and the crown traps it from going up and away. If you keep the lane clear (stand balanced to the side of stock and blade alignment) you are in as good a condition you can be with a high rpm spinning blade.

Here's a pic of the riving knife I cut to fit my Tk blade. The Euro crown guard on top is home-made and fitted with T nuts for quick release. I built it from a peice of scrap hardwood.

Once you understand the riving knife.. you might inquire into the Euro "short fence". Richard Jones ( English professional, author of many WW mag articles and teaching WW at an English college currently) showed it to me several years ago and I built one of those from scrap also. I won't do a rip without after becoming accustomed to it.

Regards...

jt.. sarge

Attachments

• rk3.jpg
    rk3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 25
  • rk4.jpg
    rk4.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 22
  • shortfence.jpg
    shortfence.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 22