Three things

Bill Lantry

Well, folks, it's been a weird weekend, so I haven't been too active. First, the good news. Many of you know I do academic technology. Well, for the third time, my U has been named to the "Most Wired" universities in america list. Some of these places have budgets literally ten times our size. The first time, I thought there must be something wrong with the criteria. The second time, I thought it was just luck. This time, who knows... ;)

http://www.cuatower.com/2008/09/12/cua-named-top-wired-university/

Second, yesterday, Doorlink, James, Julian and I went to the Goddard space center for their 50th anniversary celebration. It was cool beyond belief. Picture a three story vacuum chamber. A spinning 125' centrifuge. A room sized immersive 3-d replication of the space shuttle. And the real control room, tracking the space station in real time. Very cool.

Third, some bad news. David Foster Wallace, author of "Infinite Jest", passed away yesterday, in very sad circumstances. This kind of thing happens to a lot of authors, and I just get more and more depressed each time, and thankful for the life I have. In a world filled with literary frauds and minor minds, he was one of those who was legitimately brilliant and hugely talented. Alas! One can only hope he's found peace.

Thanks,

Bill