couple of smaller bowls

Ken Easley

Hi all,

I don't get around to posting too often but thought it about time to post a couple of my projects. Still working out my preferred finishing method, so experimenting with just about everything for now. These are both just a few coats of tung oil and buffed. Both approximately 6" x 2".

Ken
Phoenix

Attachments

• SmallCurlyMapleBowl-042443.jpg
    SmallCurlyMapleBowl-042443.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 49
  • SmallMesquiteSquareEdgeBowl-042448.jpg
    SmallMesquiteSquareEdgeBowl-042448.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 52
Thanks for the kind comments. Vaughn, they are curly maple from a sale table at the local rockler and mesquite from a tree cut to widen a road.

Ken

Nice work Ken! Good to see another Zonie on the forum as well. :wave: Did you get any turning material from all the downed trees from the recent wind storm? Cheers, Barry

Barry,

I did get a couple of large chunks of Eucalyptus. Talk about wood that moves!
Very nice pink/red/brown color and somewhat harder than I had expected. I was always told Euc was too soft to turn. First test cracked badly - 3/4 inch gap in a 10" bowl. Took a small piece from that and made a four inch bowl just to dry and see how much it moved. At 1/4 inch thick it did not crack, but moved almost half its diameter into an oval overnight. It will be a challenge to turn it fast enough to keep ahead of the warping.

Ken

Ken,

I really like both of your bowls. The curly Maple has what to my eyes is the perfect color. Just wonderful. Your Mesquite bowl is easily it's equal. The tung oil truly adds so much to both pieces and the sap wood on the Mesquite enhances the color range superbly.