A Blotchy cherry box (more pics)

larry merlau

here is a box i made, tried to get the blotchy ness out of it but i didnt succeed???
the link dried up so i replaced the link with real pics
dove tail & side detail-tn.jpg Drawers-tn_.jpg tn_hutch beading detail.jpg tn_Hutch blotchy.jpg
tn_hutch dove tail.jpg tn_hutch frnt pic.jpg
tn_hutch side view.jpg tn_hutch top detail.jpg

here is a sample of the bloctchyness:dunno: oh i dropped in sum new shots fer better lookin:)

Attachments

• intro pictn_.jpg
    intro pictn_.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
larry,

two things...

1. if that is just a box, i'd hate to see what u call furniture.

2. if that is what "blotchy" looks like i'd love to have some blotchy in some of my projects

great work, love the details, dovetails look great (hand cut or machine)
finish looks wonderful, what is it?

thanks for sharing
chris

Larry, that is some very nice work, from the pictures, it does not look "Blotchy" at all, but if you say it is, I'll take your word for it :D

Looks fantastic from where I'm setting :thumb:

lost door!

this is the piece, i lost a door in the finish room on!:( ..told story in vaughns thread...had 2 weeks to make new door and and get tanned close, and delivered it sunday am.sat night i left the shop at 10:3o and was back in ther for some final touchups at 3:am left for detroit at 6:30.. all went well after that, have a few more pics which i will attach tonight to get abetter feel for the blochyness,, they over rate that sanding sealer or conditioner i tried it and it just never went away:D oh this wasnt a smooth last voyage i broke two pieces of glass puttin them in and no i didnt order extra at the time so it was rush to a glass store for that:eek: next time i will have extra.. and the hanger in the finish room meet its maker:p

the old door,,i had grain matched the pieces to match.. but the new door got close.

No, no nooooo. That will never do. Send that piece to me immediately. I will return it as soon as I get the blotches out ;-)

I looked at your additional pics, and all I can say is I sure don't see any noticeable blotchiness. I'd think any unevenness in the color is going to go away pretty quickly with exposure to UV. I think your "box" looks awesome.

In a way, you remind me of my Grandma. She'd bake the best pie in the world, then sit there while you're eating it and tell you all the things she thought was wrong with it...too sweet, not flaky enough, not sweet enough, too thick, too thin, etc. And it was still the best pie you'd ever eaten. You remind me of that. (And that's a compliment, BTW.) :D

well lets see heree

first of all this box is a good example of what a forum like this can do for someone,, see this is a cumalitive effort.. the original desire for curly cherry came from the one and only Jason Tunistra and his desire for shaker inspired furniture, i saw some of his first offerings on smc and then a few over here but have always wanted to try my hand at it.. the deisgning of it was inspired or better to say he supported me in my ideas and voiced his opinions on what i had in mind, and that is Shaz, then came Tod into the works he was in on most of it in one part or another but he was the one that showed me how to do the beading and again gave me the support that i could do it,, and yes i heard the famous phraze its just wood if it doesnt work do it again..along with a very needed "get off my butte and fix it on the night i called him about the lost door and Steve clardy was very instrumental in his support as well we have had many conversations some very late at night figuring out things and how to do it or get around an obsticle.. and Charlie Plesaums was another that led me to a some finishing tips.. but all in all it was the family that built this i was just the tool and the family was the expiernce behind it.. without that it wouldnt have happened..tools dont make the project, the folks using them do.. so a big thanks to the forum and all of you who was a part in this..some i may not have mentioned but i still thank you as well:thumb:
p.s: order extra glass it does break, twice.

Last edited:
I looked at your additional pics, and all I can say is I sure don't see any noticeable blotchiness. I'd think any unevenness in the color is going to go away pretty quickly with exposure to UV. I think your "box" looks awesome.

In a way, you remind me of my Grandma. She'd bake the best pie in the world, then sit there while you're eating it and tell you all the things she thought was wrong with it...too sweet, not flaky enough, not sweet enough, too thick, too thin, etc. And it was still the best pie you'd ever eaten. You remind me of that. (And that's a compliment, BTW.) :D

are you sayin i look like your grandmother:rofl: if so i better do something fast:D thanks vaughn, i like homemade pie too:thumb:

Holy cow :eek: was Larry drinking to much barley pop when he typed that thank you to the family? It was legible and easy to read and dang near phenotically correct as well as punctuality!!!:huh::huh::dunno::dunno:
Y'all are ruining larry!:rolleyes::D

Hey Larry, is that Really "Curley" Cherry, or maybe it was some "Mo" Cherry that caused all that Blotchiness?:rofl::rofl:

She's a REAL BEAUTY, and I'll bet you got some Good Hugs when you delivered it too.:D It's definitely a Three Thumbs Up piece. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Only bad thing about that project is that....you done set yasef a precedent here with that there Museum Quality work, and now...........(well, you know how these Forum guys & gals are), They're Gonna EXPECT ya to TOP it "every time" ya do a new project.:doh::dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl: