tree houses

Yeppers, those are a step up from the ones I played in for sure. I like the cartoon look of those tree houses. Very cool.

Reminds me a lot of this house, abut a mile from ours. As I understand the story, it was built by a guy who worked for Disney as a designer. I've not been inside, but I've been told the interior is much the same.

Hobbit-House-TC-LR.jpg

The detached garage is along the same lines...

Hobbit Garage T LR.jpg

Sorry for the low-quality pic, but check out the shingles on the house. These had to be individually hand-cut:

Hobbit-House-Roof-Detail-LR.jpg

Darren,

I saw those while I was looking for designs for James' playhouse. Of course, now that I'm nearly done with his free-standing version, he's saying "I want a house in a tree..."

Vaughn, I'd never seen pics of that 'Disney' house, but it's really something. Still, I can't imagine the cost... every one of the pieces had to be hand crafted! Amazing!

Thanks,

Bill

any wood the security guard would let us scrounge from the new home sites, usually huge piles of scrap, cutoffs, the security guard was glad I guess we didnt go snooping around the building sites, just asked him and he said, help yourselves, watch out for nails.(I bet his insurance company wouldnt have agreed with his friendly attitude)
Got plenty of scratches and bangs from the disasters we hung up on the branches, not to mention yelled at from people telling us to come down were going to break our necks.

Reminds me a lot of this house, abut a mile from ours. As I understand the story, it was built by a guy who worked for Disney as a designer. I've not been inside, but I've been told the interior is much the same.

:eek::eek::eek:
:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers:
:bow::bow::bow:
that is stunning.

I keep forgetting you live in the desert. I was wondering where the heck his gutters were... Is that a cedar roof? I can't imagine what else could be hand-cut like that.

Kind of intimidating to buy it, though. I'd be afraid to make any changes, and would feel some serious pressure to keep everything in tip-top condition all the time -- clean too.

...art

that is stunning.

I keep forgetting you live in the desert. I was wondering where the heck his gutters were... Is that a cedar roof? I can't imagine what else could be hand-cut like that.

Kind of intimidating to buy it, though. I'd be afraid to make any changes, and would feel some serious pressure to keep everything in tip-top condition all the time -- clean too.

...art
As far as I can tell, the shingles are asphalt. If they are cedar or some other type of wood, they sure are uniformly thin.

The original owner sold this house back around 10 or so years ago. For a while, the new owners kept things up pretty well, but then it started losing its luster. I believe it sold again a few years ago, because it's now being kept up a little better. Still, I think it'd be intimidating to own it, since it's so well known in the community. It's called the "Hobbit House" or the "Gnome Home" by the locals.

There's another house just up the street from this one that was about a block from my old house, but I'd never seen it because the front of the property was so overgrown with trees and shrubbery. A few years ago someone bought it and started rehabbing it, and it turns out it is a very cool stone castle, complete with stained glass, towers and parapet walls. I'll have to see if I can get some pics one of these days.

Back to the tree houses...did you see the price list on those? The "everything" version is about $50,000. My mom and dad never bought me a $50K playhouse. :rolleyes:

Back to the tree houses...did you see the price list on those? The "everything" version is about $50,000. My mom and dad never bought me a $50K playhouse. :rolleyes:

I don't think my parents have ever bought themselves a $50,000 house.

I know that there is one of those tree houses here in town somewhere, there was an article in the paper about it a few years ago....somewhere in the $7-8,000 range. Amazing what people will spend on things:doh:...tools are excluded from this scrutiny.