Hurricane Ike in Ohio

Jon Lanier

The State of Ohio was deemed into a state of emergency today due to the winds from Hurricane Ike. The last two days I've been going around helping church folks clean up their yards. Rakes, hatchet and Stihl Chainsaw in hand. Josh went with me today since there was no school... Little guy worked his tushi off. I've been able to pull out some bowl blanks here and there.. some just to small. Today I got a few good pieces of Honey Locust. We've got a few more days of work ahead of us... just at church folks homes.

winddaycleanup4jc5.jpg

winddaycleanup2sm8.jpg

Here is Josh after our work for the day:

winddaycleanup1xe2.jpg

Here is a deacon and myself (in red) pulling a huge chunk of Pine that got ripped off the top of a tree.

winddaycleanup3ix2.jpg

Man, looks like that storm covered a lot of territory across the middle of the country. Kudos for helping with the cleanup.

Be careful with the chainsaw...those things can bite pretty bad, especially if you get tired.

We got it pretty good (bad) here, too. My wind meter showed gusts at 60.8 mph.

I lost a lot of smaller branches from the oaks and maples, but nothing heavy.

Many folks weren't so lucky. We still have about 18,000 homes without power (since Monday evening), and a lot of mess to clean up. Six people were killed from either falling debris, or during cleanup efforts.

Some friends of mine are taking their motorsailer down the Mississippi to their place in Florida. They got as far as Alton, IL and are hunkered down there for a week while the water goes back down. The river was closed south of them for a few days. They had a lot of rain and winds upwards of 60mph.

We even got some wind and rain from Gustav last weekend.

Well, we had about 2-1/2" of rain over the weekend in Southern Ontario.
Solid, all-day type of rain.

But I look at photos like this and I think we got off easy.

Here in Ft Worth, we got maybe 35 mph winds and about an inch of rain...What's with that????? I'm glad we didn't have the really high winds, but I sure could have used 4 or 5 inches of rain to get the creek filled up and running. Mosquitoes are about to carry us away! Jim.

The latest death toll from Ike is up over 50 in 11 states. I'm glad that all of our members survived without serious problems. Here in Albq., wish we could get some of that moisture--we could use it!!

My son and his family in Ohio still don't have power back on, and as of now the promise is Sunday...

The story is they sent all the spare parts to help out Texas before Ike's winds hit Ohio..

Garry

My son and his family in Ohio still don't have power back on, and as of now the promise is Sunday...

The story is they sent all the spare parts to help out Texas before Ike's winds hit Ohio..

Garry

DP@L (electric) did send alot of help down that way. But they are slowly coming back up. I heard this Sunday as a time frame as well for most people. We were lucky and didn't get our electric out. But about half of our church family did including the church building.

We've been offering up our home for showers and whatever they may need. For the most part people are grinning and 'bearing' it.

-Jon

Hi Jon :wave:,
My best to you and the spirit of unity in your community, sometimes only surfacing when these situations arises. Odd things happen during these times, be on the look out for blessings.:)
Shaz :)

Garry

Well my wife got there tonight with our genset about 9:30pm and they got power back on about 9:00 pm.:)

Thad said they have trucks in from Canada today. Guess trhey are making a lot of progress now.

But they are still so much better off than those in Texas with total destruction, and all the mosqueto population spring up along with all the other problems.

Garry

Theres still folks without power, ours went out Sunday around 7:30 pm, Monday evening I went and got the Lincoln Portable welder from my sister, got it home and hooked up my freezer, and fridge, and the cousins freezer and fridge around 9:15 PM @ 9:30 the power came back on :rolleyes: