Noob from South Africa

Hi everybody.

I am a new member, just joined this morning.

I stay in Pretoria, South Africa. I am a Mechanical engineer at a company that design and manufacture Electrodes for the Ferrochrome industry.

I enjoy woodwork as a hobby and try to get into my garage every night after work. Most Saterdays as well.

My other hobby is offroading. Growing up on a farm, I use this to get back into nature.

I hope I can contribute to this forum and learn form skilled wood workers.

Any other South Africans on this forum?

Regards

Uys

PS. My name is pronounced "ACE" - it is Dutch.

Welcome to the Family Uys :wave:

Nice to see someone else doing woodworking from another country.

We like pictures, so if you get a chance, we'd all love a tour of your garage workshop

Cheers!

Welcome to the Family Uys :wave:

Nice to see someone else doing woodworking from another country.

We like pictures, so if you get a chance, we'd all love a tour of your garage workshop

Cheers!

Hi Stuart.

I'm still fairly new in woodworking, so my double garage doubles as my workshop. I'll take some pics and post it.

Below is some recent stuff I did. The little box is a test for a box that I am working on now to give to friends as a wedding gift. Yes, I know the catch is upside down:eek::eek:! Is there a thread somewhere here for those stupid things you do when in a hurry and don't think?

The table, I am working on currently, and the TV cabinet is done, will be hanging the doors this weekend.

I'm having issues to commit to just one project with woodwork, there is so many things I want to do.

Regards
Uys

Rooshout boksie.jpg

Rooshout tafel.jpg

Rooshout tafel.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3822.jpg
    IMG_3822.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 39
Uys, looks to me like you have a great start on things, for being a "Beginner" :thumb:

The box looks great, I'd not worry about the hasp, most people would not even notice.

The table looks great, really sturdy :D

Did you turn the legs?

The shelving unit also looks very good.

Thanks for the pics! :wave:

Uys,

Welcome to the forum. We're mostly pretty sane here, but you just can't be cool until you post pictures of your shop! ;)

Yes, I know the catch is upside down:eek::eek:! Is there a thread somewhere here for those stupid things you do when in a hurry and don't think?

That would likely describe every project I've ever worked on. :rofl: The thread count would be spectacular! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Uys, I'll echo what the other guys have said. Nice-looking work, and it's great to have you here. As far as I recall, you are the first member from South Africa. :wave:

We've got guys from many foreign countries...Japan, Spain, UK, and even Texas. ::rofl:

Welcome Uys! You will find this family, now greatly expanding throughout the globe, a great place to visit and participate. all questions answered in one manner or another, heck they answer to a rookie like me they will answer to anyone:p. Enjoy yourself and visit and participate often.

Tom

Ace, theres a huge ocean between us, but thats about it.
Welcome to this great place.

theres alot of us here on the other side of the water that use our garages as a workshop. (and every saturday night when I get home from work, Ill usually take a walk and check out what Im working on)

Wow! You go to sleep an next thing everybody is welcoming you. Thanx guys, this is really nice!

Did you turn the legs?

Stuart.

No, for this one I've decided to have the legs done. I use my dad's lathe and it cannot handle blocks that size.

Welcome, Uys.

Is that a coffee table you r working on?

Mohammad, no it is a dining table for my Lapa (entertainment area) It has a thacth roof that was leaking, which I fixed over the weekend. I am waiting for the first rain to see if my fix was sucsessfull, then I'll assemble the table.

Welcome Uys.

You can also tell us what sort of woods you use there that are not exported to other countries for whatever the reason.

Toni.

We have some very nice African hardwoods locally that I'm not sure is being exported. I just love Rosewood, as you can see most of my project is made from that. Have a look at http://www.timbermerchant.co.za/local.html

I am planing a dresser table for SWAMBO in the near future.

Uys

Yep, Ace, we've got a few "Texans" here too, so a BIG HOWDY from Texas. I never got down to Pretoria, but spent about 5 1/2 yrs back in the '90's, burning up the airways between Europe and most of Africa flying a Cargo B 707. Harari, (sp)? was as far south as I ever went though. I did have an opportunity to see some of the fantastic hardwoods they were cutting to size for shipping in a few places there. There were some real beauties and fantasticly large trees at that.

Good to have you here.