New river photos

You certainly are enjoying the dickens out of that kayak. Great pastime, fun and, I'm sure, a healthy physical activity.
I notice, you were fairly close to that dam. We have dams in our area. Before 9/11 it was a popular pastime for fishermen to cluster near them at night and socialize while fishing. Now, the marker buoys have been moved way back and word has been sent that penalties will be severe if folks go past them. Unfortunate.

Barges are no big deal. Just the Semi's of the water. They don't scare me. There wakes, that is another matter. :) Seriously you just have to be respectful and you can see them long before they get to you. Barges are much less scarey than 50 mph bass boats!!

Frank, they haven't done that here. But you can no longer walk across the dam or go out to the locks and watch the boats lock through. I used to love to do that. There is a tall concrete wall that has been built around the upper section now. Barbed wire topped fences. Just not welcoming any more.

But there is still a lot of fishing going on around there. In boats and from the banks. No restrictions that I am aware of to keep you from driving up the dam and fishing. Of course the locks it wouldn't do any good since you can come through the dam.

Barges are no big deal. Just the Semi's of the water. They don't scare me. There wakes, that is another matter. :) Seriously you just have to be respectful and you can see them long before they get to you. Barges are much less scarey than 50 mph bass boats!!

Frank, they haven't done that here. But you can no longer walk across the dam or go out to the locks and watch the boats lock through. I used to love to do that. There is a tall concrete wall that has been built around the upper section now. Barbed wire topped fences. Just not welcoming any more.

But there is still a lot of fishing going on around there. In boats and from the banks. No restrictions that I am aware of to keep you from driving up the dam and fishing. Of course the locks it wouldn't do any good since you can come through the dam.

Strange thinking on the part of those g'mint security types. Our dams have roads on the tops. You can drive and park yer bomb up there but you aren't allowed to use a boat. Lemme see, the logic of that is......:huh: :rofl:

Strange thinking on the part of those g'mint security types. Our dams have roads on the tops. You can drive and park yer bomb up there but you aren't allowed to use a boat. Lemme see, the logic of that is......:huh: :rofl:

Clearly fisherman/boaters are not to be trusted! :D:rofl:

I mean come on, some of them build trailers for 6 boats when they only have one finished. :p

Great photos Jeff. What is the reason for the green netting along the rock wall. Probably to keep out the terrorists. :wave:

Hi Jeff.

Only a technical question, in your kayak, if you tip over, do you go back upright using the esquimo's technique, or the kayak waist hole is big enough so that you slide out of it, turn the kayak upright back and climb on it from the back?

BTW Beatiful pics, thanks for showing us

Great photos Jeff. What is the reason for the green netting along the rock wall. Probably to keep out the terrorists. :wave:

That is a protected Bat Cave. I forget which breed, but a large colony of some endangered species lives there. So they fence it off to keep people from entering. We have a trip planned to paddle down there Saturday night and watch the bats leave. Always a popular place in the summer.

Hi Jeff.

Only a technical question, in your kayak, if you tip over, do you go back upright using the esquimo's technique, or the kayak waist hole is big enough so that you slide out of it, turn the kayak upright back and climb on it from the back?

Yes and yes. ;) So far I have only master the first 180 degrees of the Eskimo Roll. It's the second 180 that is giving me problems. It's actually quite easy to get out once the boat it upside down. Just don't panic! You grab the side of the boat and slide it off. Because of the small cockpit opening it is not easy to get back in. So leaning to roll is HIGH on my list.

I have not had a chance to take a Rolling class. There isn't a lot kayaker's around here. But first chance I get I am signing up for a class. It is a skill I really want to learn.