First SketchUp Challenge of Fall '08

Ooops.....

Teacher, can I have another piece of paper?

:rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the lessons, Dave. I packed my Sketch-up for Dummy's book for the move, but I'll watch here.

:wave:

This is not supposed to be accurate. I just wanted folks to see something. I was at the point of throwing in the towel on SU for good. Using a lot of Dave's pointers and help I have gotten to where I could whip this up in under 5 minutes. The drawing is nothing to brag on but Dave's skills and willingness to share them certainly are. Thanks yet again Dave.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Good work Glenn.

It's not clear to me from the image but are they symmetrical left to right?

No. Visually the example looked like the outer curve was more extreme so that is what I did in my "quickie". The two are opposites made by copying and then using the scale tool to create a -1 mirror image. If they are supposed to be symmetrical . . .

Untitled-1.jpg

Just that quick. Sorry for the rough imaging. I'm on my girlfriend's PC; no PDF writer. Its a screen capture of a print preview so . . . . you know.

Here's my attempt...

challenge 1.jpg

It's the first time I've used the bezier plugin. I could' figure out how to 'push' it when it was in a bezier form. I had to convert it a polygon then explode curve. That allowed me to delete the sections that overlapped, then push it. Is there a quicker/easier way to do this?

Cheers,
Gari

My bad.

It looks like I should have included a second image. I've attached it below. The curves are symmetrical and the piece is curved front to back.

Good job given the vagueness of the original.

Gari, you shouldn't need to explode anything, at least I didn't when I drew it. I'm not certain what you were trying to push though that wouldn't go. I'll give a little more time before I describe how I did it.

Greg, you can have as much paper as you want but only eraser. :D

0f961d7e.jpg

Here's my quick drawing. I also drew a rectangle, made an arch and copied it to the other side, then erased the unwanted lines. Then I pulled it up, made a duplicate, rotated it and moved the newly copied piece over the original, intersected them and erased the unwanted lines in the center. Took about 3 minutes, one to think about it and two to make it happen. Ron

Attachments

• X (Medium).jpg
    X (Medium).jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 12
2nd Attempt

Okay, I thought you just had a fish-eye lens on your rendering! :doh:

Here's my second attempt. I created a bezier line for the front to back curve on the side plane, edited it on the front pane to curve in and out. Then, I created a small rectangle and followed the curve. Copied it, flipped it, and positioned to overlap. I couldnt' figure out how to intersect the shapes though...:huh:

I'm looking forward to see you answer to creating this shape!

1a.jpg

Here's my approach.

If you're still giving this a try, don't look at the answer below.

If you're ready to see it, open the attached SKP file and follow along.

Working from left to right,

1. I drew a box representing the size of the blank from which the X would be cut. I selected the front face and its bounding edges (double click on it) and copied it straight out in front of the box. The distance is not critical.

2. I drew the curves on the side of the box for the final curved shape of the X. The original plan gives the height of the back arc and the final thickness of the piece so I drew the back arc and used Offset to get the front arc. Guidelines were placed to aid in drawing the bevels at the top and bottom of the blank.

3. Push/Pull took care of the curved blank. A couple of guidelines assisted with the placement of a 2 degree Bezier curve on the face out front. I drew the left edge curve and then used offset to make the larger curve since I knew howwide the legs of the X are to be. I selected the curves and copied them to the side.

4. With both curves selected, I copied them along the red direction and then moved them into place to make the corresponding parts of the X. When Moving the curves back into place grab the outer one at its end and move over to the corner of the face.

5. Select all of the single face and the curves and run Intersect. Next delete the unneeded stuff leaving the X profile.

6. Push the x profile through the curved blank.

7. Select all of the resulting geometry and run Intersect. Then delete the waste.

8. Select all of the geometry and rotate it backto the correct angle. In this case that's 8°. To keep the orientation of the Rotate tool correct, Orbit around to the side and down low until you can get the protractor to be red. Hole the Shift key to lock the orientation and then click on the bottom front corner to set the center of rotation.

Although I didn't do it in this example, I would make a component of the geometry prior to rotating it so that I get the smallest possible bounding box which would make getting an accurate result for a cutlist easier. It would also help when applying textures.

View attachment X slat tut.skp